Someone Remind Me: Which Iron to Take?

Whacka Doodle
on 6/14/12 11:38 am
 I'm a little low on iron, have been for a while, and confess I have been negligent about taking supplemental iron (okay with everything else), so I need to get back-on-the-wagon.

I've taken FeoSol this last week and am shockingly constipated -- not usually my problem. Honestly, after a week produced a puff of dust, and a few pebbles.

I also have a bottle of Ferrous Gluconate, cannot remember why!  Which is the "right" one to take for GBS?

Interested in low-carb nutrition?  Thinking of trying Atkins? Want to try high-fat and/or high-protein eating?  Whether or not you have had (or are thinking about) WLS   http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/atkins/   

poet_kelly
on 6/14/12 11:42 am - OH
I like carbonyl because it's absorbed well and usually does not cause constipation.

I'm guessing the Feosol you have is the ferrous sulfate one?  Feosol also makes a carbonyl iron, and I'd go with that one.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Whacka Doodle
on 6/14/12 11:45 am
Hi!  

Thank you for the advice -- I will go find that one!

Interested in low-carb nutrition?  Thinking of trying Atkins? Want to try high-fat and/or high-protein eating?  Whether or not you have had (or are thinking about) WLS   http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/atkins/   

Dave Chambers
on 6/14/12 12:16 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Carbonyl iron.  Prices:  Amazon $20.68 for 80 45mg caps--Drugstore.com has 75 same caps for around $18--Vitalady carries 400 of 25mg caps (can be chewed too) for $16.99.  Seems Vitalady has best buy from a quick search if you order online. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/12 1:56 am
I like ferro-sequels for a quick fix .  Theye inexpensive, avaiulable in a lot of drugstores, NOT  elemental iron  which is both c0nstipating and difficult to absorb... and my iron levels are just great 4 years post op with these taken occasionally .

I didnt have em for a few months a few weeks ago .. and boy did i feel draggy... then i bought some   ferro-sequels took a few and perked right up

I believe thy're  ferrous fumarate based... but I'm not looking at the box..
southernlady5464
on 6/15/12 2:08 am
You can also add Proferrin ES (found at Vitalady) which can be taken up to three a day. It also can be taken around food. Proferrin ES is a heme iron. The only other one to take is carbonyl iron...you don't absorb any of the others.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1342 views