Open RNY 13 Years Post-op

tenaluv
on 6/15/12 11:12 am
I just joined the site and wanted to say hi!  I have so many things I want to ask and say so please be patient with me cuz it will take many posts LOL

Basically, I had open RNY in Feb 1999.  I had several complications ... one being emergency surgery 10 days post op for a nick in my intestines.  The second complication was a hematoma on my spleen that had to be absorbed by my body and eventually turned into scar tissue due to the fact that surgery was NOT an option because of intestinal complications (peritonitis etc).  I made it through after a long recovery.  I was in the hospital 3 weeks and never put anything in my pouch at all besides a few sips of water.  I skipped right over the liquid phase and never had many problems at all with throwing up etc.  Maybe my pouch was able to heal really well or I just got lucky?  I dont know.

Anyway,  My weight at time of surgery was 250 and I pretty rapidly lost 100 pounds.  After a few years I gained up to 185 and have pretty much stayed in that area.  My original surgeon was 2 hours away and retired maybe 6 or 7 years ago so I have been followed up by my PCP with bloodwork etc.

I have had a few issues as of late with low ferritin and zinc but overall I have been pretty lucky in the vitamin deficiency department.  I do take monthly b-12 shots and glad I went that route.  I lucked out and got the shots from the very beginning because putting pills in my pouch was a big problem after the initial complications.

Ok, there is much more to tell but this gives you some idea.  Now for my current situation ...

I had my FIRST endoscopy this week and found out I have a fistula in the upper portion of my pouch.  I will meet with the new surgeon I was referred to (finally got a few in my area!)  on Wednesday next week to discuss my options.  I also have a hernia that needs to be repaired so we will discuss that too.

I am lucky that outside of original complications I have stayed fairly healthy.  I had respiratory problems and discovered diabetes after several rounds of steroids and a hospitalization in Dec of 2009.  This has been a small nightmare and still do not have it under control but working on it.  Maybe the fistual fix will get me back on the road to weight loss and will allow me to get off the diabetic meds.

Anyway, after everything I have been through I am a little leary (ok, scared alot) about having anything done that might bring any complications so I am hoping things work out for the best.

There is so much more to tell but that will come in time I am sure.

Overall, I am glad I had the surgery done and wish you all the very best on your journey after WLS!

Hugs,
Tena
(deactivated member)
on 6/15/12 10:42 pm - WA
Thank you for sharing. It is nice to hear good stories from long term patients.
Btrue2u
on 6/15/12 11:35 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
You will do just fine

20AUG12-8AM SURGERY AT ST.JOES IN TORONTO  W/ DR SMITH                        

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/12 12:01 am - WA
I am actuallly on here for revision information. But thank you anyway. I had RNY proximal in 2008 and have gained it back so I am looking at Distal RNY. But thank you just the same. It is nice to hear from folks out as far as you and still doing fine. I know if I can get the second surgery I will have a better shot at being sucessfull too.
tenaluv
on 6/16/12 11:35 am

Have you ever had an endoscopy done to see if your pouch is still intact?  The doc told me that altho my fistula (staple line disruption with liquids and food going into old stomach)  was small ... it can still still cause weight gain.  Everything else looked fine (no ulcers etc) so he seems to think it can be a fairly simple fix.  I'll get details on Wednesday and post. 

My only advise to you is to get a good pic of what is going on before you make any surgical decisions.  You may not need to go the distal route.  You would have more vitamin deficiency probs with distal and that in itself is not fun!  Good luck and I hope things work out for you!  Hugs!

donna39
on 6/18/12 3:06 am - FL
Hello,  May I ask what does it feels like when your pouch isn't intact? I had my surgery in 2007, I had a baby Feb 2011 and gains some weight and after then gained some more. Lately my stomach has been hurting well for about 2wks off and on. It's not a regular hurting. It's a hurting I can't explain. I'am going to go to the doctor but I'am scared. The feeling was kind of bad till it made me sick. I never felt that feeling before. If you could explain it to me please. Thank-you
tenaluv
on 6/19/12 2:42 am
Hi Donna, The only symptom I know of for sure is weight gain.  Some of the other symptoms I am having are due to the hernia and perhaps the spleen.  I will see the surgeon in the morning for more answers! 

Ask if you can get the endoscopy done because it will show the staple line, pouch, stoma etc.  Since you were pregnant after the surgery you could very well have a hernia as well.  Put your mind at ease and have it thoroughly checked out so you will know how to proceed.  Good luck!!

donna39
on 6/19/12 9:58 am - FL
I haven't been back to my surgeon for awhile. Do I go back to the surgeon, or the regular doctor? Thanks for responding back!!!
tenaluv
on 6/19/12 4:28 pm
The new bariatric surgeon I am seeing did the endoscopy to check my pouch.  I am going to see him in the morning to find out the options for fixing the fistula.  I'll let you know what he says.

You should make an appt to see your original surgeon if he is available. 

Talk to you soon,
Tena

donna39
on 6/20/12 12:22 am - FL
Hi Tena, I hope it go well for you today! Please let me know what happen.
Most Active