Uncomfortable But NecessaryTopic - (constipation)

MissNilsa
on 6/19/12 4:59 am - Astoria, NY
Lap Band on 08/13/07 with
OK,

It took me a while to come here to ask whether anyone experiences this on an almost regular basis.  I'm out of surgery since late 07 and in the past year or so, I am having so much trouble going to the bathroom and missing days at times.  I have never experienced this.

anyone have any information regarding lap band / bathroom issues?

Thanks,

Nilsa 
/nilsa 
Ladytazz
on 6/19/12 5:18 am
Vitalady has a regiment that I follow pretty much, tailored for myself.
I use Miralax (or a generic) daily.  I get a prescription from my doctor so my insurance pays for it and it doesn't cost too much.  I take at least 2 stool softeners a day.  At least 25 grams of fiber.  Magnesium oxide, 500 mg 3 times a day with my calcium.  Milk of Magnesia as needed before things get too backed up, usually if I don't go for a day or two.  That still happens even with the daily Miralax, etc but if I miss a dose of Miralax I am in for a world of hurt, like impaction hurt.  I also will use suppositories or enemas if needed but usually Milk of Magnesia does the trick.
Some people swear by Chia seeds.  I have some here but I keep forgetting to use them.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MissNilsa
on 6/19/12 5:22 am - Astoria, NY
That sounds like some regiment that you have there.  Thanks so much for your response.  I have chia seeds and also forget about those little strange suckers.  They're ok but consistency isn't my fav.

I have to figure something out because I think i'm literally hurting myself  and could burst my band the way I've been going.

tough stuff.

Thanks again!

:)
/nilsa 
Ladytazz
on 6/19/12 5:42 am
I have to be very strict with my regiment because it got so bad that I gave myself a hernia from straining with the constipation.  And I needed to have surgery twice because of that hernia.  So constipation is nothing to mess with for me.  I also have a rectocele that I had surgery on that came back because of the constipation and will eventually need to be operated on again, too.  So it is essential that I keep things soft and moving along.  Like I said, if I even miss one day I will get so bad it is impacted so I do not miss a day.  I put the pills in my pill case along with my other vitamins and I keep the Miralax on the counter and mix it in my last drink of the night.  When I plan my meals I always make sure I include high fiber foods like beans or I take Fiber Choice.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Bette B.
on 6/19/12 5:38 am
 I use store-brand Miralax as needed. Sometimes it's every day for a few days, sometimes I go quite a while without needing it. Best thing is, it mixes with any liquid - hot or cold, is completely tasteless and dissolves completely, unlike Metamucil.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Valerie G.
on 6/19/12 9:20 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
With lapband, you've had nothing done to your intestinal tract, so this is likely all in what you're eating.  Up the fiber and water....BIG TIME.   If you still have considerable restriction, you're probably not eating enough of it, so some fiber supplements will help.  Go for the good old fashoned remedies like prunes and such.  Also, the probiotics in yogurt help regulate the digestive tract, in the ways of constipation or the opposite.  I don't have many issues with this since my DS, however have fond memories of the past.

Now for the touchy part - literally.  This is not for the squimish, but it does work if you've got a mass stuck near your rectum and you find yourself straining:
Your vaginal wall is right against your colon.  From the vaginal wall, you can massage the colon and feel the mass.  Sometimes kneading the mass will work out a bump or two that may be holding things back, so to speak. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MissNilsa
on 6/20/12 2:25 pm - Astoria, NY
 Thanks,

/nilsa 
Miss_Kitty
on 6/19/12 10:12 am - New Bedford, MA
How is your fluid intake? I find prune juice mixed with apple juice works well. Pear juice and white grape juice also work. Prune juice by itself may taste nasty, but if you mix it with a fruit juice made of 100% juice, it's not so bad.

Hope this helps.

Do you see the glass as half empty or half full? I say, what difference does it make--I paid for a full glass,so either way I am getting jipped!!!

wendydettmer
on 6/19/12 10:59 am - Rochester, NY
i'm only 6 months out so i know i'm still new. but i get about 40 grams of fiber a day and drink a ton of water. i am more regular now then i ever have been.

i would look at what you are eating first, since you have the band and your intestines are intact.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

MyLady Heidi
on 6/19/12 11:19 am
I had lots of bathroom/gas issues and I gave up all bad carbs, processed foods including my beloved protein bars and started eating greek yogurt everyday and everything is so much better.  I credit the yogurt for helping the bathroom and gas issues.  I eat clean otherwise for the most part.
Most Active