When you know something is wrong but not sure what..

tinamarie_125
on 6/29/12 7:32 am
 I am almost 3 years post op from RNY. My first year after surgery was great. Second year, I have had to have 12 procedures to reopen my stomach (strictures). My doctor says a revision is very risky and he seems very hesitant. I vomit daily to relieve pain from eating. Even protien shakes hurt. I take my vitamins, but not sure what good that does when I vomit anywhere from 2-5 times a day. I also daily feel very weak. I recently had lab work done and they said the only thing that was off was my thyroid. That it was a .4. They said its risky to be on thyroid meds and want me to just have it rechecked in 2 months. (this is from my family doctor). I also have headaches. I just hurt all over. I am thinking of getting a copy of all my labs, but honestly I don't know how to read them or how to go about questioning things. I feel sick, malnourished. It's also so very depressing. I regret having RNY and not handling things in a non surgical way. I feel like I am going to die at a young age and I don't know how to get the help I need. Please any suggestions or slaps in the face are welcome....
chris_ruff
on 6/29/12 7:39 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with
i'm so sorry to hear everything you're going through. if your current docs aren't getting anywhere, maybe its time for some second opinions. go with your gut. you know something isn't right. don't stop until someone can help you. hang in there. and go to the ER if you feel too weak.
--Christina
kathkeb
on 6/29/12 8:04 am
This is going to sound harsh ..... But here goes.

This is not normal. Vomiting every day is NOT normal.
How sick do you have to get before you seek another opinion?

Seriously, it is time to look for another doctor and to advocate for yourself, or get a family member or friend to advocate for you.

If I were having to vomit every day to relieve pain, I would be camped out at the doctors office, vomiting in his bathroom, until I got real help.

Please look for another doctor.
Kath

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/12 8:36 am
 ditto what Kath said .     

if Ure vomiting and feeling weak every day .... MOVE IN  with Ur surgeon lol !!!  shoot ,he might LIKE it ( mine tried to date me lol) 

seriously ...please dont stop till ya get a REAL  permanent  SOLUTION .

off the cuff .. U may have IRON PROBLEMS ... ( FERRITIN TAKES care of that 4 me ) ...  daily vitamin issues ( just CHEWING six  per day of flinstones kidz sour gummy bears MIGHT  make ya feel GREAT 

try them both THEN come back ... 

also do U drink  whey isolate protein ?  

big hugs ((()))))  rootin' 4 ya ! 
poet_kelly
on 6/29/12 9:08 am - OH
Your surgeon tried to date you?  Did you report him to the state medical board?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/12 9:22 am
 HECK no !!  he was a naughty , cute  ( VERY cute btw )    HOTT  smart accomplsihed young BEAST   .... I TRULY felt VERY flattered lol 

he calls me and facebooks me periodically .. too bad im Married lol 
poet_kelly
on 6/29/12 9:24 am - OH
Cute, hot, whatever, it's highly inappropriate for a doctor to try to date a patient.  It's unethical and should not happen.  It's even worse that he did it when you were married, but it would still be unethical, unprofessional and inappropriate even if you had been single.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 6/29/12 9:10 am - OH
It's really hard to believe you are throwing up that much and all your labs are normal.  Do you know if you had a full set of labs done?  Did they take at least 14 tubes of blood?  If not, you didn't get everything checked.

Ask for a copy of your lab report.  It will show the reference range and if your level is high or low or in range.  You don't need any special training to read it.

You can also ask your doc to order any tests he missed.

If your surgeon isn't doing anything to address the constant vomiting, find a new bariatric surgeon or gastroenterologist!  Start calling places on Monday!

tinamarie_125
on 6/29/12 9:25 am
 Kelly, I know there were a bunch of vials. Not sure it was 14. I have seen 2 different family practice doctors, and a civilian gastric bypass,surgeon where we lived a month ago (he said I needed a revision). We are military and moved back to the Portsmouth, VA area and I went back to see the doctor who originally did my RNY. He is the one who is Leary about doing a revision. I am scared from what he has said about having a revision, but the Egds are obviously not working. He is the chief of surgery at the military hospital. So I don't think another surgeon is going to disagree with him. I feel like if I have specific questions or things to request they look into then they will. I am wondering is a revision my only option now to help with the vomiting?
If I persist that I want a revision, I feel like he may do it. I am afraid of it though and not sure it is the right thing.
MsBatt
on 6/29/12 12:41 pm
In your situation I'd consult with a surgeon who specializes in revisions.
Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1375 views