Gastric Bypass Revision? TPN?feeding tube? 8 years out

Sandy_B
on 7/4/12 1:22 pm - Bakersville, NC
I got down to 82 lbs...I went for days not being able to keep anything and I mean anything...I was put in the hospital had surgery to put in the tpn ports came home on outpatient with tpn for 4 months...I had a temp of 102.9 and blood work showed my white count was 102.9 so I had to be put back in the hospital and have the iv tpn ports took out...I have pneumonia now and it has to be cleared before I have another endoscopy to see if the stricture with ulcers has got any better or worse and that will decided by my surgeon if he is going to put in the feeding tube...I know I read somewhere that a man had went through the same as I...and come to find out the surgeon took out too much of the intestine...so  he had to do a complete revision...if  anyone knows who this might  be please I pray let me know how to get in touch with me...Thank each and everyone for being all that you can be...

Sandy

Linda B.
on 7/4/12 4:38 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12
I'm sorry you are having such health issues. From looking at the forums after my DH has his VSG, under the forum "complications" (I think), you will find Gus, I think he might be who you are looking for.
M M
on 7/4/12 9:53 pm
 I have a Facebook friend who just got similar news:  too much intestine bypassed.  She's doing better now that they know what the issue is.

TPN is a good option until you can be revised.  

Sandy_B
on 7/5/12 7:11 am - Bakersville, NC
Would you please get your friend to find me on fb...Sandra Yelton Buchanan...Bakersville, NC
I was on tpn for 4 months and 2 weeks ago I had a temp of 102.9 so I had to be rushed to the ER and the blood work came back my white count was 1,700...and they were not going to risk my life if it was in the tpn ports...I was getting 1,000 calories of sugars and lipids and the list kept going...my sugar drops down to the 40's so I have to be careful with that...I know that I don't miss my black sack that had to go where ever I did...Thank You so much for responding to me...

Sandy

M M
on 7/5/12 7:14 am
 No problem.   She's in my support group online - message me - and I'll share the link.
MsBatt
on 7/4/12 11:57 pm
They don't actually take out any of your intestines, they just bypass part of it. Reversing that part of the RNY is fairly easy to do.
Sandy_B
on 7/5/12 7:15 am - Bakersville, NC
When I had my surgery in 04 they did take out 6-7 ft of intestines...I don't know how the loss of that many feet how would it be if my dormante stomach would do?

Sandy

MsBatt
on 7/5/12 8:37 am
Well then, you're probably the only person in the world whose RNY was done that way. Did you have some sort of medical problem that required this?

In the RNY as customarily performed, about 6-7 feet of intestine is BYPASSED---it remains attached to your remnant stomach, and is reconnected to the rest of your small intestine in a 'Y' formation, lower down.

In comparison, I had the DS, and about 20 feet of my small intestine was bypassed. Bypassing 6-7 feet should NOT cause you the sort of trouble you're having. I suspect your ulcers and strictures are the root cause of your troubles, not the amount bypassed.
tinamarie_125
on 7/5/12 5:42 am
 Oh Sandy. This terrifies me. I had RNY almost 3 years ago. I am about to undergo my 14th endoscopy. I am 130 lbs right now but have lost 6 lbs just in the last week. I feel so sick all the time but my doctor seems ok with this since my labs are ok. He just told me to live on liquids until he can do 3-4 more scopes which will take 6-8 weeks. I am scared of a revision. And so is my doctor. He says it's risky and should be a last resort. I struggle with taking nasty carafate 4 times a day (usually get it down twice) and remembering the nexium. Since you have to take both on an empty stomach. I am so sorry about your pneumonia. Just know that you are not alone. I hope it gets better.
Sandy_B
on 7/5/12 7:22 am - Bakersville, NC
Bless your heart Sweetie...I haven't had that many endoscopy's but when I did the Dr would stretch where the pouch and ntestine attached...I do have a stricture and ulcers...I did get to were I can't take meds cause of just enough water to get them down and here they came back up...I am just like you sick and some days sicker than sick...Easy for them to say if we can live off of liquids and the liquids come back up...I am terrified of a revision also...I have to take nasty carafate...just like drinking chalk and it taste just as bad coming back up...but the pills are so big and have to be broke down they still get stuck...
God Bless you Sweetie...I hope it surely gets better soon.

Sandy

Most Active