hypothyroidisim v.s. hypoparathyroidisim ??

demurebutterfly
on 7/10/12 2:55 pm - Lima, OH
Well after talking to the gastric surgeon about what is going on and the family dr.'s PA not letting me know about the results about blood work, symptoms getting worse, he ordered more intense lab work.  The results say hypoparathyroidisim. I thought was it, but who am I and what do I know about MY body. I will be talking to my surgeon tom. about treatments. At least I know it is not in my head.  My mother also has thyroid issues and takes meds daily for them. 

The labs that were off from the family dr orders were Alkaline phosphatase it was high, RDW was also high, Hematocrit, mcv, mch, mchc were all low. Those were the labs that I didn't get any advise on. so I didn't know what to think I just knew that something was still wrong and getting worse.
Actually I was talking pre- nat vit with iron. my Vit D , Pre albumin, Ferritin were all low. The rest of the tests were within normal levels including calcium, iron, copper, mag, phosphorus, Vit A, Zinc,Vit B 1 & 12, Selenium, and Folate.

Is there a difference in hypothyroidisim and hypoparathyroidisim?  What are the treatments, has anyone had these issues.

debaraklee
on 7/10/12 9:03 pm
Hypoparathyroidism is a condition in which the body doesn't make enough Parathyroid Hormone (PTH), these reduces calcium level in blood and increases phosphorus level in the blood. Whereas In Hypothyroidism there is low thyroid hormone production.
Mary Catherine
on 7/10/12 11:54 pm
After my RNY, I missed candy and started eating chewable calcium pills during the day. I thought I was doing a great thing for my body.  I tested with parathyroidism.  The endocrinologist told me that it was a false high caused by taking too many calcium supplements.  I stopped the calcium and the parathyroid went back to normal.
ALESIA1966
on 7/11/12 1:55 am - New Bern, NC
I had the same result as White Dove when I was taking a calcium supplement (thought I needed it because of my age and possible potential for calcium deficiencies, I would eat 1 or 2 of the Calcit creamy bites day)...My doc also counciled me to stop the calcium supps, did 2 bloodwork followups and my results for both went back to normal...

Alesia : start 249 / surgeon's goal 138 / current 142  

southbay311
on 7/11/12 2:16 am - NV
RNY on 02/22/12
My friend had her parathyroid removed years ago and has been fine since then.  Hypothryoid is completely different and can be treated with synthroid daily.
H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
Pickett6
on 7/11/12 3:30 am

You have 4 small (pea size) parathyroids resting around your thyroid gland.  My lab work continued to show high levels of calcium in the blood and that indicated hypoparathyroidism (a condition that started before I had my RNY), and about 3 months ago (3 months after the RNY surgery), I had one of the parathyroids removed; via x-rays and ultrasound, the surgeon determined that one of them had a tumor (benign) growing on it.  My blood calcium levels were normal when I left the hospital and have remained fine ever since.  My aching joints no longer ache, and Ithe remaining three parathyroid glands handle the blood calcium levels fine with no medication needed.  So it was a good decision.  If you determine that your condition is hypoparathyroidism, don't panic.  The surgery was day surgery, and I was back at work in two days.  And --- the resulting loss of joint and muscle pain is wonderful!!

demurebutterfly
on 7/11/12 7:23 am - Lima, OH
I have talked to the surgeon today and he wants me to take 50000 units of Vit D a day for 30 days then 1 every week.  Also wants me to get an iron infusion.  he said they were both really low.  I didnt see that but, that is why he is the doctor.  He said my thyroid is fine it is because these were so low.  I am going to talk to my family dr who to get the infusion from (NOT THE P.A.).