4 year post op appt next Thursday

noja
on 7/19/12 2:13 am - Hermansville, MI
I feel so rotten.  I have my 4 year post op follow up next Thursday and my weight this morning was 175.5#  my ideal weight is 155# and my lowest weight was 143#.  I just don't know how I let it get this out of hand.  I've been cutting down on my portions and eating healthier lately and being really concious of old habits that have snuck back up on me.  Has anyone else been in a slump like me?  I am so depressed that I have gained back this much.  I know I have stretched my pouch out some because I am hungry all the time now that I have cut my portions back to the proper size.  How long did it take some of you who have had similar situations to get your pouch shrunk up a little or does that hungry never go away now? 

Kathleen W.
on 7/19/12 2:41 am - Lancaster, PA
First of all, take a really deep breath.  You've managed to keep almost all the weight off.  That's a major achievement.  A 20lb regain is within normal for those of us that have wls.  I know that you want it off.  It's better to do it now instead of letting it go until it's 50 lbs or more.  Questions for you?  What did you do in the beginning?  Go back to that point.  Get your vitamins, fluids, protein in.  Weigh and measure everything that will be going into your mouth.  Write it down. Get in some excercise.  You can so do this.  Another suggestion would be is to do something like WW. A lot of us had problems doing it before had but it helps keep us on track  when we have 20-30 lbs to lose. (and, yes, I adapt my wls dietary needs to the ww program)  It keeps me honest.  You can so do this.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

noja
on 7/19/12 3:10 am - Hermansville, MI
Thanks for the tips.  It's just a boost to know that others have been where I am and have been able to get the weight back off.  I promised myself I'd never go back to the way I was.

grannymedic1
on 7/19/12 4:01 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
Most people have/will experience the same thing. There are those lucky few but for the most part there is some struggle with regain. Like the previous poster said, get back on track, and look at where you came from. I will add that you need to forgive yourself. Remember that obesity is a chronic disease and just because we have had some surgery doesn't mean that we are cured. We will never be.

You have caught it now, that is good. You know what to do, and that is very good. You don't sound as if you are one to let bad habits creap back in and then go unchecked, and that is excellent. A recheck like this is one of the best things to happen to us. It keeps us from becoming the old person again.

My other suggestion is to decarb if you are carb sensitive. I am and when I have let those buggers sneak back in ( like they have done in the past 3 weeks or so) I have to suffer a bit to break their hold. Now, I am off to suffer some more since this is only the second day since I pulled my head out of my butt.

Good luck, you can do this.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

ALESIA1966
on 7/19/12 6:12 am - New Bern, NC
Noja,

Don't despair and do as the other poster's suggested and stay on track with getting back to the basics, it will take "being good" for a sustained period to see results because at this stage out it is harder to re-lose, but it can be done...I am on the course you seek right now having recently had my 7 yrs surgiversary and found myself up 13lbs from where I once was & a want to be again...On the positive side, I too was sure I must have stretched my pouch and stoma opening by eating poorly and sometimes to overfullness...My surgeon did an upper endo and assured me that the pouch is still quite small and stoma also - in my mind I was SO sure that I had stretched them, most likely your's is still intact too and it is just your head trying to work you over...

Good Luck - to both of us & continued success on your journey...

Alesia : start 249 / surgeon's goal 138 / current 142  

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/19/12 12:01 pm - Windsor, Canada
 If you are on Facebook I have a group for those that are 3 years post op or more and struggling. You are most welcome to join is.  It's called "bariatric long-timers"

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/12 12:03 am
 A few suggestions that have worked very well 4 me .  I am 4 years post op  and I struggled with regain/ not geting to goal for almost 2 years .  

first of all, get out ofthe air conditioning ( being cold makes U HUNGRY )  and away from the desktop n tv  into nature .   I started a  huge gardening project  which is ( literally ) bearing fruit now .  Part of that fruit is having a great , defined lean n  strong body from all the exercise n work ! 

get rid of the stress in Ur life if U can .  Stress leads to self medicating w excess food 4 most of us .

MOVE !  Find something U like  doing outside and do it everyday for a few hours .   It shouldn't involve disciplining Urself to do it ...  ideally its something U enjoy and can lose Urself in ( like gardening is for me ) 

eat lowfat n fresh n high fiber .  

save money every month for plastic surgery (  yes you need to remove those pesky empty fat cells or they do constantly flood Ur body w  hunger hormones and regain /refill at the drop of a hat forever

(((())) good luck