how long does it take to get dehydrated?

jschultes
on 7/27/12 10:57 am - ND
I'm looking for some advice. I've had a rough month. About 3 weeks ago I threw up everyday for a week and a half. The...for a week it was gone. I did go in and have an xray taken and they didn't see anything amiss. Now I've throw up violently all day long twice this week. Now today I can't even keep water down. I at 2 1/2 little shrimp and somehow threw it up for hours today1 then a few hours later I tried a protein shake...which also came up. Now a few hours later I tried a soup..cream of mushroom and thew that up too. Now I'm worried ill get dehydrated? My lips are dry, I have a headache and am dizzy. Would it be out of line at this point to hit the er on a Friday night?

Dame__Tooter
on 7/27/12 11:00 am
First sorry you've been ill.  2nd an xray can't see a blockage in the stoma (IF you've had an RNY and I have no clue what you've had)...I'd guess you've got either a closing stoma (the opening from pouch to intestine) or a blockage of the stoma.  I'd be seen.  If you can't get fluids in, that's dangerous and quickly dangerous for WLS patients.  Good luck!
poet_kelly
on 7/27/12 11:02 am - OH
I'd go to the ER.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MickeyDee
on 7/27/12 11:53 am
yep, sounds like dehydration. You need an IV bag or two, get thee to the ER. Once you get to the dizzy/nauseated stage, you can't get hydrated orally.

Another good way to check is the "Pinch Test"; pinch the skin on the back of your hand. If the fold stays up, you're dehydrated.

jschultes
on 7/27/12 11:57 am - ND
The pinch didn't stay up! I'm. Trying hard to keep fluids down right now and they've stayed down for about a half hour...but barely. I think if this fluid comes up ill just go in.
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 7/27/12 12:17 pm
 go in now. you will feel better much faster.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

jschultes
on 7/27/12 1:18 pm - ND
Does the fluids help with the nausea?
poet_kelly
on 7/27/12 1:52 pm - OH
Oh yes!  Plus they can give you meds for nausea while you're there.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jschultes
on 7/27/12 8:07 pm - ND
Well, I felt better so didn't go in. I was finally able to stop throwing up overnight. If I drink when I get up and it starts all over ill definitely go in. I can't take much more. Have you ever thrown up the same thing for hours? I had cream of mushroom soup yesterday probably about a half a quarter cup but threw it up for like 8 hours. I thought things went through fairly quickly?

Thank you for all of the support! At the slightest sign of nausea this morning I'm heading to the walk in!
Valerie G.
on 7/28/12 5:07 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Yes, you're dehydrated and YES - you have to insist that something is wrong if you can't keep water down.  I concur to look into what Tooter recommends.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active