O.T. Insomnia

pwoo10
on 7/29/12 10:18 pm - IN
RNY on 06/06/12
I have suffered from insomnia for many years.  I just can't shut my brain down at night.  I think about stupid stuff.  I am on anxiety meds but it doesn't seem to work.  When I am awake I am a control freak and I worry about everything.  I'm just so tired all the time and yawning looks so rude at work.  Anyone have any tricks to shutting my mind down at night so I can get some sleep? 

southernlady5464
on 7/30/12 12:24 am
What was keeping me awake (actually my insomnia was the type where falling asleep wasn't an issue but staying asleep WAS)..was one of my prescription meds.

Anyway, I did some research on all my medications and one of my prescription meds that was a pain med and suppose to help me SLEEP was actually the culprit keeping me awake. I stopped it this spring for another reason (pain had gone down so much I didn't need it) and discovered it WAS an issue and the culprit.

So check ALL the side effects of all your medications, esp prescription meds...you may be the "zebra".

Doctors are trained to "if you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" I'm a zebra.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Dave Chambers
on 7/30/12 12:26 am - Mira Loma, CA

Welcome to the "insomnia club".  You may get some relief by trying a different med for anxiety or getting your current dosage adjusted.  I've taken script Restoril for at least 15 years prior to my surgery, as I have major undiagnosed headache issues, even though my medical file is over an inch thick on tests to diagnose headaches.  I also take Ativan, which seems to help my anxiety.  But I still had increased sleep issues post op. I got some minor releif, althouth not consistant, from trying Trytophan or Melatonin.  A few months ago, I resorted to something I would have not done years ago.  It's legal in CA, so I chose get my medical marijuana card and try that route. I intended to use a vaporizer (I have one still not used), but I seem to get good sleep using a homemade medicated lozenge I take at bedtime.  I avoid 99% of sweets on a daily basis, but I found a recipe to use a Paula Deen hard candy recipe, with added cannabutter.  I make a "batch" using jello for flavoring, pouring the hard candy mixutre into a silcone mold that is used for making 1/2 inch square ice cubes.  One batch fills 2 trays nicely. I spray some cooking spray on a rubber spatula to spread the hot candy mix over the trays. They cool in 20 minutes or so. I pop them out of the mold, and pour into a tupperware type bow, with a "lock and lock" lid.  I add a very small amount of powdered sugar, close top and shake. The prevents the small lozenges from sticking together.  I keep this locked in a bed side safe, and take either 1 or 2 of these small lozenges at bedtime, letting them dissolve under my tongue.  I just woke up from 7+ hours of sleep, using 2 of these last night.  It's an option that works for me.  Some may not agree, but it's an option I chose when nothing else worked for me.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 7/31/12 4:21 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 Back in my misspent youth, I smoked a little pot--just enough to know that while everybody else was claiming to feel all mellow and relaxed, I was shaking with anxiety, paranoid, cold, and miserable. For those who are helped by medical mj, I'm glad they can get it. But it sure doesn't work on everybody. 
I'm shuddering even now just remembering.
Dave Chambers
on 7/31/12 4:31 am - Mira Loma, CA
There are many different strains of marijuana today compared with many years ago.  I usually get a high Indica hybrid which is designed more for sedation, help with sleep and pain, etc. Sativa blend is more likely what you had years ago.  I take one of the 1/2 inch cubes when I need to rest shortly with headache meds. For bedtimes sleep for the night, I take two of these same cubes to sleep 7-8 hours. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 7/31/12 2:23 pm - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 Very interesting...
PoohHag
on 7/30/12 4:32 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12
 I have a similar problem at times.  Benadryl works for me.

kathkeb
on 7/30/12 6:48 am
 I sleep with my iPod.  I listen to a book that I already know so my brain doesn't stay awake trying to hear what is happening next.

I drift off with 1 ear bud in and throughout the night, I switch ears as I roll over.  
I used to sleep to the television it this is much less disruptive to my husband.

Ifi wake in the night, I seem to listen for a few minutes and then I drift back off.
Kath

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 7/31/12 4:25 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 Maybe you've tried this, but I didn't see it mentioned. Learning to meditate can be very helpful. There are many interpretations, philosophies, and practices. I use a combo of guided progressive relaxation, visualization, being aware of "now," and counting my blessings. It nearly always works.

Also, being retired helps a whole lot. Work was crazy stressful.