I left my doubts behind in the MRI machine

jennyrenny
on 8/3/12 10:46 am - Canada
DS on 08/11/12
I have been sure about my decision to have a DS for quite some time; however, if I did have any doubts I left them behind on the walls of the MRI machine. I felt like a pig in a blanket...and I had to have two MRIs done so I was in there about 45 minutes. At one point I even asked the technician if there was a possibility I would get stuck in the machine...she assured me I wouldn't. But every time the machine moved my arms and hips dragged along the side. My arms eventually went completely numb from being crammed in there. It was not only uncomfortable, but humiliating. They were so impressed I didn't move at all. Truth is, I couldn't. Good think I know how to meditate or I probably would have lost my mind.

One more reason why now is the right time in my life for WLS.

HW: 365, SW (August 11, 2012): 351

Jilly Bean
on 8/3/12 11:21 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12
I had a MRI in February.  After it was done, the tech asked how I got out of bed.  Did I have to roll to sit up or could I just sit up?  I was very embarrassed.  He was only trying to help me but I felt ashamed.

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

southernlady5464
on 8/4/12 12:18 am
After it was done, the tech asked how I got out of bed.  Did I have to roll to sit up or could I just sit up?  I was very embarrassed.  He was only trying to help me but I felt ashamed.

I know that, due to back surgery, I still need help getting out of bed and I am a NORMAL BMI now. My weight has NOT a DAMNED thing to do with it...the tech was insensitive to ask it the way he did.

Being obese is not a reason for that question...he could have phrased it differently and still been helpful. He COULD have said, "do you need help sitting up"? Many people may need help for that REGARDLESS of size.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

stlfocus
on 8/3/12 1:59 pm - IA
I had an MRI a long time ago, and I just had one again a month ago on my head 100 lbs lighter. The difference is like night and day.  The first time was a nightmare, but the second one was a piece of cake.  I was not crammed in there, and it was so much better.

One other simple thing that made a huge difference was the tech offered me a washcloth to cover my eyes.  The fact that I could not see I was in this tiny little tube helped so much. 

MsBatt
on 8/4/12 7:30 am
I am 100% with you! The MRI I had about a month before my DS was the most horrible medical procedure I've even undergone. I'm usually pretty cool and collected---but that thing completely freaked me out.

Yes---'pig in a blanket'. Or, more likely, a sausage in a casing---I felt like I'd been ground up and forced into a casing.. The only thing I could think about was "What happens if the power goes off? Will I DIE in here?"

Mine was just on my knees---and since my DS, my knees are...much bettre. Not well, not without pain, but---better. It's been almost 9 years since that MRI, and I'm still walking on the knees that MRI said I needed replaced ASAP.
Most Active