Protein in Urine but not a Kidney Infection?

cathey9338
on 8/9/12 12:40 pm - Woodbridge, VA
RNY on 06/19/12 with
So as soon as I posted about the 5k I'm excited to do... I got a call from my dr's office.  I thought I've been fighting a kidney infection for the last 3+/- weeks.  The office called to say stop taking my antibiotics because I don't have a kidney infection but I do have protein in my urine and need to come in tomorrow morning for additional tests. 

Any ideas what the trouble could be?  I've never had a kidney infection until the one right after my WLS.

Purple Passion
on 8/9/12 1:55 pm - Little Falls, NJ
RNY on 08/06/07 with
That has happened to me several times.  I'm always nervous about it since kidney disease runs in my family.  The next step is always to do a 24 hour urine collection.  It always turns out fine.

I wouldn't make yourself crazy over it until you've had further testing.

Rachelle
Looking for a possible revision.
257/190/150 

ShallowGirl
on 8/11/12 3:14 pm, edited 8/11/12 3:15 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
It's called PROTEINURIA and you can google it.

Here's the wiki site
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proteinuria

Protein shouldn't get out of the kidney, it's a sign the holes in your kidney tubules are too big (ie normally the net is too fine to let the large protein molecules escape).

So it's caused by kidney damage, from inflammation (temporary) or other diseases which can be permanent.

Diabetes can cause it.

There are TEMPORARY causes and PERMANENT causes, so it is fixable.

A measure you take is also to EAT MORE PROTEIN to make up for losses.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1211 views