full yet not satisfied

maggie100
on 8/12/12 7:32 pm
I AM ALMOST FIVE YEARS OUT. WHEN I EAT I EAT SOME AND HAVE TO STOP FEELING FULL. BUT I NEVER FEEL SATISFIED...YET CANTEST MORE. WITHIN 30 MIN NEED TO EAT AGAIN. STILL NOTHING FEELS SATISFYING. HELP! ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS?
hollykim
on 8/12/12 8:36 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
what are you eating> lots of dense protein or losts of slider/carby food?

maggie100
on 8/12/12 10:36 pm
Both. no matter what I eat. I feel full but just lack a feeling of satisfaction. I will try to be more cognizant of it now though. its like eating air! Wonder if I'm missing some certain hormone. I have been hungry since day one after surgery. I know,, its prob. in my head.....that's what everyone says. I also have trouble sleeping. I take calcium, mag, d3, melatonin,a homeopathic nerve tonic, homeopathic restless legs pills, and krill oil. if I go to bed hungry I can't sleep. I list 80 and regained 30. Of course I take my other required vitamins.
hollykim
on 8/13/12 1:30 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
are you taking a PPI ? It could be excess acid and excess acid can mimic hunger. Are your getting 64+ ounces of liquid a day? dehydration can also masquerade as hunger.

I would try eating all the dense protein you can hold even every 2 hours and leave off the carby stuff. Carbs make some of us crave more carbs and it seems to me if I eat carbs,I want to eat more of everything.

GL

Mary Catherine
on 8/13/12 5:47 am

There are therories about why some people still feel hunger.  My own personal therory is that it has to do with cutting the vagus nerve.  Ask your surgeon if he did that.  One symptom is sneezing and having a runny nose after eating.

If I eat steak, but am craving strawberries, then I am going to feel very full, but very dissatisfied.  I pick my meals around what I want to eat, more than around dense protein.  I eat some of the Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, etc frozen dinners.  That way I can have something that I want, like lasanga, without having to contend with a large pan of leftovers.  Right now, I am eating a lot of fresh tomatoes and cucumber because it tastes great and having a cucumber in the refrigerator is not something that I am going to overeat.

I will be five years in October, so we are probably close on where we are in our journey.  I lost 8O and regained 18.  I weigh myself every day and am now back to my goal weight.  I don't stresss over weight, but do make myself stay aware.  I accept that this will always be a struggle in some ways, but it does get easier every day. 

maggie100
on 8/13/12 10:27 am
Oh yah....get runny nose and phlegm and sneeze when eating often. guess if he for cut vagus nerve, what's done is done.keep wondering if there is some supplement to help. I think there is a big stomach/brain connection for sure. I think about food a lot. I didn't before rny . I cent eat a lot but I'd like to feel satisfied. I feel sometimes that I'm on a quest to find that certain something that will to the trick! Like you I love cucumbers and tomatoes. I like quest fresco cheese with it too. (Salivating now!) I'll get an item in mind ti eat, but somehow when I get it, it doesn't taste as good as I think it should. .whole thing is weird!!!!'
jennyrenny
on 8/13/12 6:03 pm - Canada
DS on 08/11/12
 I had that problem when I had the lapband. Wold get "full" but never felt satisfied. Like an itch I couldn't reach. My doc recommended px90. I never tried it and I'm not sure if you can take it with the RNY.

Good luck...I feel your pain.

HW: 365, SW (August 11, 2012): 351

Most Active