Diarrhea prior to/after surgery??

harmerel194
on 8/20/12 12:38 pm
 My surgery was on August 16th. When i started my 3 day liquid diet prior to surgery, i started having diarrhea. It has not yet stopped. I was released from the hospital on the evening of August 18th. My doctor did not seem concerned about the diarrhea and said that sometimes it happens but to call if it hadn't stopped by the end of the week! I've been having it since the 13th and it's getting quite annoying especially after surgery. Every time that I feel like i have to pass gas I have to go to the bathroom just incase. I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen as well? Is there any way to relieve this!? 

Thank you
Sarah27136
on 8/20/12 12:45 pm
RNY on 07/25/12
Hey there!  I had diarrhea pretty much every time I went for the first two weeks...You have to remember that you're only taking in liquids so that's what tends to come out....I'm almost at 4 weeks and it's gotten much better.  Contact your MD if your nervous, but I'm sure it will pass!  Good luck!

Sarah
Dave Chambers
on 8/20/12 12:46 pm - Mira Loma, CA

You likely had a liquid diet before surgery, had fluids during surgery, were under anesthesia, and are likely still on mostly a liquid diet now. No food "with substance" and the after effects of anesthesia can cause these issues.  Hopefully, you've taken some time off from your regular schedule to recover from surgery. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

harmerel194
on 8/20/12 3:00 pm
 Thank you for your responses. My surgeon did not seem to concerned about it when i was released from the hospital, So i wasn't all that worried. It's just getting a bit annoying and uncomfortable, but it's nice to know it does get better! And yes, I'm taking plenty of time to myself to heal up! 
jennyrenny
on 8/20/12 8:29 pm - Canada
DS on 08/11/12
I'm not sure what kind of surgery you had, but if it is RNY or DS you may have some new sensitivities to food. I had the DS 9 days ago. I had diahrrea for a few days, which I do think is normal. But when I got home I had some protien shakes with lactose in them (not intentially), focusing more on getting my protein than the possibility of my tummy being very senisitive. I ended up with cramping, the sweats and very very bad diarreah. When I started on my new proteins with no lactose, my BMs normalized immediately. Well, not toally normal, but pretty close.

I'm not sure where you are at with your diet, buty maybe look closely at what you are eating. Perhaps it is lactose, or a certain type of protein (whey or soy) that you are not tolerating. See what was in those protiens you were taking during your liquid diet and if there is anything in there you don't usually eat. That might be your first clue. Also might not be a bad idea to go back to clear fluids for a day or two to let your stomach settle then try introducing only one thing and see in the symptoms come back. If they don't, then try introducing something else and so on.

I hear that lactose intolerance is sometimes temporary post surgery and sometimes permanent. I'll have to wait and see. But I will tell you this, on the day I do see if I am okay with milk or other lactose containing foods I will stock up on air freshener and stay close to home.

HW: 365, SW (August 11, 2012): 351

harmerel194
on 8/21/12 7:28 am
 I had the RNY surgery. I am still on a liquid diet.  At the moment the only thing i am taking in is water, crystal lite, and my protein shakes (soy). I get to start introducing soft foods such as yogurt and cottage cheese, mashed potatoes on saturday. I'm hoping this is just temporary and that my stomach is just sensitive to all the liquids i have been taking in. Hopefully once i can have so foods with a little more substance that it will get better!!
Most Active