When Will I Feel better?

harmerel194
on 8/23/12 6:17 am
 I know that this question is very subjective, and personal. I know it take different people different amounts of time to heal. But I was just wondering how long after surgery did everyone start to feel better, more like themselves? I had my RNY Surgery on August 16th, exactly one week ago. I didn't expect to go back to feeling 100% right away (that would just be silly). But I'm still so sore, my belly hurts, I have absolutely no energy at all. I've been doing everything that the doctors said to do. Taking all my vitamins and getting in my 64 oz. of fluids every day. I just feel miserable and worn out. I'm having one of those "why did i do this to my body?" days. I just want to feel semi-normal. So I'm wondering how long did it take until you felt even a little bit better?  
imautobot
on 8/23/12 6:34 am - Oklahoma City, OK
I know where you're coming from. I developed a hemotoma a week post op, it was very painful. It took about a month for my body to dissolve that, and probably 2 months just for me to stop feeling the stitch they used at my primary incision.
I think my energy started coming back around the 3 month, but I still have days when I feel weak or tired. Keep in mind that you probably spent your whole life eating more than 2000 calories a day, and you're suddenly taking in less than 1000. So the fuel you once burned isn't there, and until your weight drops to a level where the calories you're consuming are equal to what you body requires, you'll likely be lacking that spring in your step.
I spent most of the first 2 weeks just staying in bed, and really only getting up to bathe or take the recommended walk every 4 hours. Your recovery can't really be gauged by anyone else, but this is what I went through. Almost 5 months post op, I still don't feel terribly energetic, but I can't argue with the results.
In a world where we are told we can be anything we want to be, the
one thing that remains most elusive is the ability to be ourselves.
Sarah27136
on 8/23/12 6:49 am
RNY on 07/25/12
I am 4 weeks post op as of yesterday and I have good and bad days.  Some days I'm my happy, bouncy, bubbly self, and others I'm cranky, tired, and miserable.  The thing to keep in mind is that it will not last forever, and you can only take it one day at a time.  The fact that you're getting your fluid all in is GREAT!  Most can't keep down that much, and I know I still struggle getting it all in every day.  Keep up the good work and you will get better, you just have to believe you will!  Good luck!
nari1208
on 8/23/12 6:50 am

some say it's between a month or two. I know you can do it, and yoou'll actually feel better. just go on your follow up check up and take a rest to fully recover. :)

Dave Chambers
on 8/23/12 6:59 am - Mira Loma, CA
It may take 2-3 months to feel somewhat normal again.  Fatigue, depresssion, anxiety, hydration issues, finding foods that agree with your pouch, etc.  This is a major reason surgeons often give pateints 60 days off of work after surgeDAVEry. You have to learn to deal with these issues daily, and it's difficult to attend college, work, do full time child care, etc. while you are personally challenged with these issues.  But it varies with paitents too.  Simple walking for 20-30 minutes once or twice daily may help you, as a simple form of exercise.  I'd hightly suggest you find a local support group to attend. You might have to attend 2 or 3 different groups until you find one you really like. 

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

martitalinda
on 8/23/12 7:12 am
 I can totally relate... I had a long recovery period due to a post op complication necessitating surgical intervention the day after my surgery again...so mine was dragged out for a few months... at a week out I was still in the hospital .. when I came home I was one sore mess for weeks... I just wanted to feel like myself again I had this horrible taste in my mouth and this horrible sensation in my throat from being intubated back to back for 2 lengthy procedures ... I was sore and in such pain and the oral pain meds made me sicker .... I could not wait to get to feel a little bit like me ... when no one was watching or within earshot I would just bawl ... it was not a pretty sight and I questioned what the heck I had done to myself .... All my other friends who had the procedure did well and were back to work within a week or two and I was having difficulty even walking to the bathroom I was beside myself ... but then little by little day by day it got better and now I realize that it was all worth me going through all of that for this ... but it was not easy ...

Give it time ... you will feel better trust ... every passing day you get closer and closer as your body heals and you get stronger... rest ... take care of yourself... pamper yourself while you heal ... hydrate (sip sip sip) ... follow your protocol .. take your vitamins and before you know it  ... you are feeling like yourself again only BETTER...

(((((((HUGS))))))))))) wishing you nothing but the best on your journey!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

harmerel194
on 8/23/12 8:46 am
 Thank you all for your encouraging words. I guess I am just having a really hard emotional day. I live by myself with my 4 year old son. My mom takes him when she is done work which is in about 4 more hours. And as the mess in my apartment piles up, and my son gets restless sitting around the apartment, i get more and more emotional. I knew what i signed up for when I did this, I just didn't think that it would be this hard. And i didn't expect to be to feel THIS horrible and sad. I definitely will look into local support groups, I think it will be a huge help. Again, thank you all for sharing your experiences!
vamicurn
on 8/23/12 10:52 am
I am so sorry that you are feeling so bad! To have this major surgery AND have to take care of a 4 year old BOY is beyond my imagination. I made sure to have the surgery while my kids were away for the summer at their Daddy's. I had my surgery on June 18, 2007. I had a very rough two weeks post-op. I would say that I started feeling more like myself around the six week mark. This included being able to go up the stairs to my bedroom at a faster pace than one step every 30 seconds to a minute! Hang in there girlie......it's all worth it in the end. I promise, it gets to a point several years later when you wonder what in the world it feels like to be overweight!!
harmerel194
on 8/23/12 3:43 pm
 Thank you so much! It's tough to have him home but his dad could only get a week off of work. I'm so grateful that I have such a supportive family that is helping me as much as they possibly can. I'm feeling much better since my dr. Gave me the ok to have some yogurt this evening! Thank you so much for your encouraging words and I can not wait to get to the point where I am feeling better than ever! I know this is just the beginning and will pass eventually!
PattyBluebird
on 8/24/12 11:47 am - Monett, MO
 I remember feeling the way you do.

My surgery was four years ago and recovery was hard.  I spent extra time i the hospital because I spiked a fever and my IV went bad and my hand swelled up.  Then I got diarrhea and was throwing up.  Oh, yeah, it was fun LOL

One thing I had to remind myself back then and even today:  this is a new normal.

Nothing will be the same, ever again.  And, that's a good thing.  Really, it is!

You "did this to your body" with the hope that you can become a healthier person and have a long happy life, right?  Keep that in mind.

I'm having struggles right now that might be related to surgery.  I am seeing a GI and he thinks I might have ulcers in my "former" stomach.  But I'm under a lot of pressure, due to family issues, so I'm not blaming the surgery.  It just complicates things.

Hang in there, take things a moment at a time and remember that one day SOON, you will be able to look in the mirror and wonder why you didn't do it sooner and you'll be so grateful that you did it.
~ Patty

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1328 views