Tired and Confused!

Loretta M.
on 8/23/12 1:16 am - KY
RNY on 03/29/12
I'm within a few day's of being 4 months post-op. I'm just curious to those of you who have "been there done that", how much of a normal routine you resumed. I'm usually on the ball, keeping up with everything, but then, like today, I was seriously pooped out. I wasn't able to get anything done! I had more energy before I had my surgery! I'm now feeling unbelievably tired and I have no energy whatsoever!! Before the evening is up, my stomach is a ball of nerves because I feel useless! Just a year ago I was so much more functional, so good at working and keeping my house together, and now I can only keep my house together half the time, and some of that time I'm reduced to tears, like I was tonight. I get so confused at where I should be at 4 months out. I'm taking all my med's and getting in my protein, but where should I be at functioning? I feel like I'm so far off with keeping up on thing's. I'm going insane and feel like I'm not doing well enough. Any idea of what level I should be at would be appreciated.

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/12 1:44 am - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13
get some labs drawn?

maybe you are short on some vitamins or minerals?
never2late4change
on 8/23/12 2:28 am - Virginia Beach, VA
RNY on 07/18/12
Hello there. I am so sorry you are having a hard time. Please "google" the symptoms for depression. It sounds like it to me. I am only 4.5 weks post op but when it comes to depression I have DEFINATELY been there, done that. Please look into this. If it is depression there are so many options ways to eventually returnt you to living a normal happy life.

If you dont think it is depression I agree you should do labs and see your doc.

Best of luck,
Nicole

Highest Weight: 283.6,  Post Op Weight: 273.6, Goal Weight: 160 lbs 

JJ_
on 8/23/12 3:14 am
Hiya,

By 4 months, I was feeling like a regular person again.  I had more energy, etc.  I had lab work done at 1 week and 3 months (by bariatric office) to track how I was doing.

You need to be speak with your doctor about your symptoms.

Judy
imautobot
on 8/23/12 7:00 am - Oklahoma City, OK
Until your weight bottoms out, you are operating at a calorie deficiency. This could explain your lack of energy. I'm about 5 months out, and I totally don't feel like I have the same energy as before. I suspect that when I lose enough that the amount of calories I'm consuming is equal to the needs of my body, I'll see a return of energy.
Depression is also a possibility. I get so bummed about the foods I can't eat, or keep down I want to scream. But this is what I knew would happen, I'm just trying to roll with it.
In a world where we are told we can be anything we want to be, the
one thing that remains most elusive is the ability to be ourselves.
Dave Chambers
on 8/23/12 7:06 am - Mira Loma, CA
If you haven't started some form of daily exercise, that may be part of the reason.  Hormonal fluctuations as you lose wt often lead to depression or anxiety.  In some cases, these feelings were always there from earlier life traumas--death of a close family person, child abuse, divorce, bullying, sexual abuse, etc.  You relied on food for comfort, something you don't want to do post op.  If you think this may be part of the problem, get some professional counseling.  Often recent post ops end up using anxiety or antidepressants to deal with these issues.  Counseling and/or meds may be needed either short term or long term.  It sounds to me like depression, and I urge you to speak to your doctor about this so you can get a referral to begin getting help. Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Dragonryder2
on 8/23/12 7:11 am - NM
Yeppers get some labs done and check into depression.  That is sound advice.

Good luck 
H.A.L.A B.
on 8/23/12 8:07 am
check you labs - even if the doc tell you they are "normal"  - if they are low normal - and not good enough for you - you will feel bad. I know - I been there. 
I need some of my numbers either high or way above normal to feel "normal" (i.e B12, iron, ferritin, D#, proteins, etc) It took me a while to find out where they need to be for me to feel good enough to function.
i.e my B12 needs to be higher than 800
ferritin - higher than 40-50
proteins - 7+ (still working on that)
D - more than 60 (less than 60 and I do not feel goo)
 and so on. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kim S.
on 8/23/12 8:09 am - Helena, AL
Your body is operating in starvation mode right now, so hormones are crazy, and Lord only knows what else can be out of whack.

Compare your self to NO ONE.

What matters is how YOU feel, and it appears that is out of sorts.  Call your doctor.  Do not be afraid to reach out for help.

DebsGiz
on 8/24/12 3:58 am - FL

At four months, I also felt "normal."

I would suggest that you may want to get with your surgical team and see if there is not something going on that needs to be looked into.

Sending you prayers for "normalcy." 
Most Active