Very dry hair

makidd
on 9/1/12 5:40 pm - Port Orange, FL
Everyone I know who has had the gastric bypass, eventually gets very dry hair (including me).  I feel that it makes me look older than I am.  Has anyone else had that happen to them and what have you found that works to give your hair a healthier more youthful look? I am open to color but want to make sure that I don't make things even worse.

Thanks for any help:) 
Mary Ada Kidd    
Eggface
on 9/1/12 6:08 pm - Sunny Southern, CA
I was pretty dry in the first few months after RNY (lack of fats in my diet early on) but once I was able to get a moderate amount of healthy fats (olive oil, salmon, avocado, cheeses, etc) in it was fine... dry hair, skin cured and yum!

Though topically in the heat of the summer especially (we had 100+ temps for weeks) I love Moroccan oil like a dime applied to damp hair. Texture wise I'm fine... LOL style wise I'm a mess most days. No patience.

Hope you find an answer that works for you.
~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

makidd
on 9/5/12 6:38 pm - Port Orange, FL
 Thanks for reminding me about Moroccan oil.  I have some that i purchased a long time ago and just put in the back of my medicine cabinet!
Mary Ada Kidd    
thisbe777
on 9/1/12 11:10 pm

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

makidd
on 9/5/12 6:36 pm - Port Orange, FL
 Thanks so much for the website.  I'm going to check it out right now:)

Mary Ada Kidd    
(deactivated member)
on 9/3/12 12:13 am, edited 9/3/12 12:13 am
 I wash my hair purely with conditioner ( usually 3 minute DEEP conditioner ) every two days and usually use shampoo only on the roots about once a week .

I also find a Fructis leave in conditioing spray called silky secret a big help .

Im kind of happy with the crazy volume and length of my hair  only wi**** had more SHINE .

The trick is to find  flattering hairdo that works with the new  texture of hair Ure working with .  Sometimes its realy NICE  to change Ur look up ..even if Ure forced to .  Its WAY too easy to stay in an outdated style rut that USED to look good !! 

Personally ive sen some beautiful results from nice and easy  ( a no ammonia , just depositing )color on gray ) very light blonde shades on salt n pepper hair . The gray reads as highlights and the grayish roots are a tiny bit lifted to be brown .  It IS kind of a permanent commitment but its a five minute haircolor U do at home, its  basically root free as long as U stay far away from the dark shades .  The nice thing is U can fix the roots at home and you only fsit in the color for five minutes in Ur bathrom before U shampoo. 

Or you can emphasize the gray by using a violet tinted shampoo ... its a fantastic look for many especially dark skinned dark eyed  Mediterannean types .  

makidd
on 9/5/12 6:35 pm - Port Orange, FL
 I've been thinking about color and really appreciate your comments!  Thanks for taking the time to respond:)

Mary Ada Kidd    
NHPOD9
on 9/3/12 8:59 am
 Odd you should ask this question, as I was just thinking how much I love a new product I've been using.

Renpure Originals Aragon Shampoo, Condition, and Deep Penetrating Oil have really helped improve my hair over the last month.  I lost about 50% of my volume and the remaining hair I had was extremely dry and brittle.  Since using these products (about a month now), I've definitely noticed a much needed improvement.  I only purchased them when they were on sale at Rite Aid; I figured they couldn't hurt matters much.  I'm so happy I did.

YMMV.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

makidd
on 9/5/12 6:34 pm - Port Orange, FL
 Thanks so much.  Those products definitely sound like they are worth trying:)
Mary Ada Kidd    
MyLady Heidi
on 9/6/12 9:34 pm
 I can tell you what not to do, don't try to achieve the Jennifer Aniston blond because it is so hard on your poor hair.  I would go back to brown but honestly once you go blond you can't go back but my hair pays the price.  I use all sorts of Paul Mitchell crap on it, costs a fortune between highlights and product.  Pick a easier color on your hair, and for me nothing but perm color touches the greys.
Most Active