Low Blood Sugar

Rubes001
on 9/6/12 9:22 am - Houston, TX
My doctor called me today and said 2 things: Increase my daily iron intake and that my blood sugar was 43 and needs to be at least 70.

She gave me some sugestions on how to raise my blood sugar lever: Eat 6 small meals a day (brekfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack) but I already do this.

Any other suggestions???
-Ruby H.

Visit us at www.HintonFamily.OrganoGold.com

HW/SW/CW
281/265/173

M M
on 9/6/12 11:28 am
 I have had reactive hypoglycemia since shortly after my RNY.  It's easily maintained with diet.
Rubes001
on 9/6/12 2:05 pm - Houston, TX
Thanks for that link!!
-Ruby H.

HW/SW/CW
281/265/173

MyLady Heidi
on 9/6/12 2:06 pm
Your blood sugar was 43 when?  At an office visit, because that they typically test with you standing there, and that is not an A1C number so I am not understanding how you doctor called you with this result, from what test did it come?  That is an extremely low number, one where your brain would not function properly, 70 is actually low also, I would be extremely cautious of anyone recommending you keep your blood sugar so low.  I was diabetic before wls, and now without meds but I still have RH, which means basically I rise and crash from sweets and carbs, so I have to be cautious with what I eat.  I do not eat during the day at all, not one bite, all my meals are taken at night and it has no effect on my blood sugar, only the food I eat and my bodies reaction causes the numbers to go up and down.  You need to always eat protein with every meal and avoid bad carbs all the time.  With a number that low I would expect your doctor to be doing much more then a phone call.

Good Luck.
Rubes001
on 9/6/12 2:16 pm - Houston, TX
I was actually at my yearly OB/GYN appt.  I guess I would need to relay this information to my bariatric doctor.  My yearly appt with him is in Oct. 

Thanks for your advice.  I will call my bariatric doctor's office today!!
-Ruby H.

HW/SW/CW
281/265/173

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/6/12 2:31 pm
I have RH (reactive hypoglycemia)  and I had the same issue many times.

I had RH and eventually I become hypoglycemic. (google that - both terms) Only when I removed ALL starchy carbohydrates from my diet plus all fruits plus milk (still eat cheese and some qty of Greek yogurt - but only with Full Fat)
Basically now I eat: 
meat and fish, eggs, cheese, non-starchy veggies, some full fat yogurt.... 
rest - is off the limit. But my blood sugar has been stable for last 3 months. 

check a very old post. I learned a lot from it.
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_grads/3453812/Reactive -Hypoglycemia-my-trial-error-research/

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active