RNYer with questions about intestinal infections.

MochaPJ
on 9/14/12 12:32 pm - CA
I am about 19 months out. I have an intestinal infection that has not been totally identified yet, but signs and symptoms point to something along the lines of c diff, giardia or e coli. When my final test results come in, I suspect I will be put on Flagyl. I think it's a timed-released med, which I thought was bad for RNYers.

If you've had experience with intestinal bacterial infections post-op, I would like to hear about your experience. If it's too humiliating/graphic, friend me and/or message me privately.

I rarely post here, but I could really use some feedback.

Thanks.

A little background -- I believe I developed a secondary intestinal bacterial infection from a course of antibiotics I took about 7 weeks ago. I have lost control of my bowels on at least 2 occasions. I have had diarrhea for close to 6 weeks now. Thank goodness I've only lost 3 pounds, and I'm really good about staying hydrated.

All of my recent labs were excellent. I just had additional bloodwork done, and am awaiting the results of some stool samples.

MsBatt
on 9/14/12 2:08 pm
I don't think Flagyl is tiime-released---certainly there are lots of people around here who do take it. And it it turns out to be C. diff, you're *probably* going to have to have some IV antibiotics.
Ladytazz
on 9/14/12 2:13 pm
Prior to my revision I had chronic small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.  Ultimately nothing helped long term until I had my revision.  I personally think it had to do with the way my surgery was done.  I never had a day  in nearly 8 years when I didn't have loose stools and daily diarrhea.  Even when I was on Flagyl or another antibiotic it was much better and tolerable but never a solid bowel movement.  The day I had my revision was the last day I ever had that, knock on wood.  I tried every probiotic on earth but no matter what I ate or didn't eat or what I took or didn't take I never had any kind of long term help.  That was one of the main reasons I agreed to a revision and I haven't regretted it since.  If this is a fairly new situation for you then it will most likely be cured with treatment and not surgery.  I don't know why you aren't on Flagyl now.  Even when my cultures would come back negative I was given Flagyl.  Not all bacteria shows up on the cultures.  Are you taking a probiotic?  Get on a good probiotic and stay on it.  To this day I eat cultured yogurt every day even though I no longer have a problem.  I do it just to help guard against any problems.
As far as I know Flagyl isn't timed release.  There is some question about taking probiotics while taking Flagyl.  Some say it's a waste to repopulate your intestines at the same time you are killing off the bacteria.  I would say it couldn't hurt to at least eat cultured yogurt but talk to your doctor about that and see what he says.  Once you get this thing under control stick with the probiotics and/or cultured yogurt to keep it from coming back.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Ruth S.
on 9/14/12 2:24 pm - Orlando, FL
Sorry that you've had this and I can not offer any ideas but I can say that ANYTHING time - released is ineffective for us RNYers...due to the malaborptiveness.
Ruth S.
Dawn
on 9/15/12 7:43 am - Salem, IL
I did contract CDIFF after my surgery. I've been on Flangyl for two weeks and the symptoms have stopped. CDIFF has a smell to it like I've never smelled before, and I did not make it to the bathroom on more than one occasion. I keep a bottle of bleach water next to my toilet so I can sanitize it every time I have a bowel movement, as CDIFF is highly contageous. Also make sure you use an anti-bacterial soap. Alcohol will not kill CDIFF!!
Valerie G.
on 9/15/12 2:47 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
I get a bacterial imbalance a few times a year, and its always when I've not restocked my yogurt for a bit.  Some people take probiotics regularly, but I find that a daily dose of yogurt keeps me in check.  When it's been a few days, I can tell the difference in the smell, texture of my gas and stools.  I just "know".  Two cups of yogurt and 2 days make a huge difference. If you clear up an infection, follow up with some kind of daily probiotic to add some prevention.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1448 views