Gluten Free foods?

kirk6400
on 9/14/12 7:15 pm - Watauga, TX
RNY on 09/06/12
I posted a question in another discussion thread but no one has answered so I decided to make this a new topic in hopes to get responses.

The other discussion thread was talking about pastas and how some people are able to tolerate a small amount while others are not able to tolerate them at all. The person who posted the original question said she was cleared to add pasta and that's what generated the whole discussion.

I asked what about gluten free pastas or breads? I'm such a newbie...8 days post-op...and still have lots to learn even after nutrition counseling and I don't remember even discussing gluten free and whether or not it's a viable alternative for RNY people. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also, reading posts in regards to making sure that if we eat carbs that we "mix" them with proteins and I need more info on that subject. What kind of carbs should we be sure to mix with proteins...simple or complex? It was related to someone who was just diagnosed with something called Reactive Hypoglycemia (sp?). I can't find that discussion thread or I'd go back and post this there. Any thoughts anyone can share on this subject would be very helpful too.

Thanks.

Joyce :-)

HW...265....SW...260....CW....229....RNY on 9/06/12

Ladytazz
on 9/14/12 9:41 pm
It is all individual.  I am gluten free and I occasionally have gluten free bread or pasta.  I don't have a problem with it.  I do have a problem with wheat.  Whenever I eat regular bread I want more and more.  Whenever I eat gluten free bread I don't give it a second thought.  I still have most of a loaf of Zero Carb bread that I bought from Julian's Bakery that I paid an arm and leg for, sitting in the freezer.  I also have most of a loaf I made of Peanut Butter bread that I wasn't crazy about.  I don't think I ever had any leftover bread that had wheat in it when I was eating it.
I have had reactive hypoglycemia.  It is basically when your blood sugar drops very low.  Usually I can eat a protein bar or some cheese and gluten free crackers or even a sugar free Dutch Bros. coffee drink and I am fine.  Fortunately I haven't had it happen for a while but I do keep things handy just in case.  I think the reason I haven't had it too much is because I do eat every 2 or 3 hours, mostly high protein, so that seems to keep my blood sugar steady.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Valerie G.
on 9/16/12 6:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Hmmm, you're inspiring me to try more gluten-free stuff.  I don't get horrible effects from every type of bread item, however I do understand the continued craving you describe.  I saw some gluten free pasta yesterday, but noticed that it was simply rice.  So, you really don't continue craving?  For that reason,it may be worth a try.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Ladytazz
on 9/16/12 9:55 am
Part of the reason I don't get a craving is that I have yet to find any gluten free bread or pasta that is really tasty.  It's not terrible, I can eat it and it's fine for a sandwich or bun but it's nothing to get excited about.  I couldn't wait to try the Zero Carb bread from Julian's Bakery that I paid $25 for 2 loaves and they tasted kind of like cardboard.  I still have some left in my freezer.  I found some UDI gluten free  bagels in the day old bin the other day for half off so I bought them to have for breakfast but I wouldn't pay full price.  And I love bagels!  I also have a package of gluten free spaghetti that I ate one serving out of.  Now that isn't a big difference because you usually only taste sauce anyway when you have pasta but I swear I forgot I had it.  I really believe that when I eat things like wheat and white sugar I crave more and  more of it but things without I can take it or leave it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

MsBatt
on 9/16/12 9:55 am
The more I learn about gluten, the more convinced I am that it's bad for humans. I've not personally eaten many gluten-free 'alternative' foods, but I may start. But beware---gluten-free doesn't equal carb-free!

As early out as you are, you really shouldn't even be thinking about pasta or bread.  You need to eat protein, protein, and then some more protein. (*grin*)

As for 'mixing' carbs with protein---forever, you *should* eat protein FIRST, any time you put anything in your mouth. But as we're all human, that's probably not going to happen. But eating carbs alone often does cause reactive hypoglycemia in RNYers, especially after about two years post-op. This is a side-effect of the RNY that has only recently been talked about much, and which should be part of the pre-op education of all WLS patients. It can happen to anyone, but the loss of the pylorus seems to be a major factor, based on the relative occurance for the various forms of WLS. And you should combine BOTH simple and complex carbs with protein.
Annasbell
on 9/16/12 11:56 pm - Arcadia, FL
RNY on 09/12/12
 Look carefully at the carb content before you decide.  Many items that are gluten free are very high in carbs.  We have been cooking gluten free for 11 years because my son (a type 1diabetic) also has celiac disease and must avoid ALL gluten...it's in everything, even soy sauce!  Since he must take insulin for all of his carbs we noticed how carb dense the gluten free options really are.  In the end it was a healthier decision to eliminate the food items, rather than substitute.
kirk6400
on 9/17/12 5:02 am - Watauga, TX
RNY on 09/06/12
Anna,

Why do we as RNY people need to be concerned with carbs? I know we're supposed to watch fats and sugars but I didn't think carbs were a big deal, except for the fact that usually a high carb food will have high sugar content. So, are you saying that gluten free products are usually high in carbs therefore, high in sugar?

My sister also has celiac and she has been very careful to avoid gluten products. I've never been diagnosed myself but I'm convinced I'm sensitive as well. I may not be as severly affected as my sister is but I figured after my surgery giving up pastas and breads would be good for me too. But I've been wondering about gluten free lately....people talk about how products with gluten gum up in our stomachs and that's why I'm trying to find out if gluten free would be a viable alternative.

HW...265....SW...260....CW....229....RNY on 9/06/12

MsBatt
on 9/17/12 12:32 pm
On September 17, 2012 at 5:02 AM Pacific Time, kirk6400 wrote:
Anna,

Why do we as RNY people need to be concerned with carbs? I know we're supposed to watch fats and sugars but I didn't think carbs were a big deal, except for the fact that usually a high carb food will have high sugar content. So, are you saying that gluten free products are usually high in carbs therefore, high in sugar?

My sister also has celiac and she has been very careful to avoid gluten products. I've never been diagnosed myself but I'm convinced I'm sensitive as well. I may not be as severly affected as my sister is but I figured after my surgery giving up pastas and breads would be good for me too. But I've been wondering about gluten free lately....people talk about how products with gluten gum up in our stomachs and that's why I'm trying to find out if gluten free would be a viable alternative.
...still have a lots to learn even after nutrition counseling...

WOW---you REALLY didn't get much info about your post-op needs, did you? Carbs are the major thing that makes people FAT. Carbs are the enemy, NOT fat---there are certain fats that are essential to good health, but you can live a virtually carb-free life. (Not that that would be a lot of fun. *grin*)

Carbs break down into sugars. Therefore, they raise our blood-sugar levels, and trigger the release of insulin. If our bodies are insulin-resistant, our regulatory system forces the pancreas to make more and more insulin, which causes those cells to wear out, which ultimately results in diabetes.

The swings in blood-sugar levels that carbs cause also cause to crave MORE carbs, which cause more cravings---see where this is going?

The only truly healthy carbs are those in veggies---or, rather, most of the carbs in veggies are indigestible fiber, which we do need. Fruits have a high carb/sugar content, so---not so healthy. And most things that have been artificially made to be low- or no-fat---the fat has been replaced with CARBS.
MyLady Heidi
on 9/17/12 9:21 am, edited 9/17/12 2:28 am
I wouldn't bother with the Gluten free, its a fad, unless you have Celiac disease there is no point to it. As for white carbs, i.e. bread, pasta, rice, potato, for me if I don't eat them with some protein source, like meat or cheese or something I will get a nice big sugar spike and cra****'s less then fun and will force you to need to eat something to get your blood sugar back up. I try to avoid all white carbs, and leave the my simple carbs of choice as fruit and chocolate, best mixed together, but they will cause a crash too. Reality is you can't give up everything forever.
espiset
on 9/17/12 9:52 am - Dallas, TX
VSG on 09/06/12

One of my good friends cooks sooo good! And, last time she came over for dinner, she brought brownies. They were delicious!!!! She told me that she substituted the flour for black beans. Equal amount substitution 3 cups flour = 3 cups beans Then, she mixed all of the ingredients in a blender, until it was a smooth consistancy. I couldn't believe it! They were the best brownies ever! So, just thought I'd throw that out there! This is not only good for gluten free, this is a great way to throw protein in your dessert!

Skinny Thoughts! Beth

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1348 views