my first little melt down

katie G.
on 9/15/12 5:51 pm
Today i am 4 days post op and its also my first day on full liquids which means i could have some pudding. I have been getting my fluids down wo a problem. I made some sf ff chocolate pudding w skim milk.... it didnt mix well so there were small chunks but i made sure to pretty much liquify it before swallowin. I was using a tiny spoon and had no prob eating about 1/4 c. I stopped eating not because of fullness or discomfort but rather beacuse i didnt feel like eating anymore. My question is... should i have beenable to eat that much 4 days out? Or could it have been because it was pretty much liquid when i swallowed it?

Also my 3 yearold is with his father for my recovery as i cant help but pick him up and he plays like a boy! I havent seen him in 6 days. Ive actually gone the whole day w nothing for painbecause im determined to get myself out to see him tomorrow.

So with every thing ontop of recovering and just being uncomfortable i had my first real cry!

I needed to vent and would really appreciate thoughts on the food part of this...
hollykim
on 9/15/12 7:25 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
yes, you wont feel much restriction till you get to more dense foods. good on you for stopping when you did.

As far sas the meltdown,hormones are stored in fat and as we burn fat those hormones are released into our blood stream to be disposed. you may have more meltdowns in the next few days/weeks.

GL

jennyrenny
on 9/15/12 7:43 pm - Canada
DS on 08/11/12
 I have a 4 and 6 year old so I know how hard it is when you can't pick them up. But you Don't want to get a hernia or other damage because then you will be away from him longer. Hat I have been doing with my little ones is having them sit (carefully) on my lap and lots of cuddles on bed. That way they can snuggle right up and get that physical contact they need without me getting injured.

It my be a rough few weeks for him (and you) but as you lose weight you will feel so much better you will more than make up for it.

Good luck with your recovery!

HW: 365, SW (August 11, 2012): 351

MsBatt
on 9/15/12 7:56 pm
Honey, please don't do without your pain meds! Being in pain actually slows down healing. Let someone else drive you!
katie G.
on 9/16/12 5:23 am
Thank you for the positives and on the pain aspect i wouldnt say that i have any real pain just some discomfort that reminds me that ive had major surgery. I dont like how the strong meds make me feel, ive taken tylenol since my first day home.

On the hormones ty for the heads up now all i have to do is remind myself im not going crazy lol.

And ty on the reassurance w the fullness feeling occuring later on w other foods.

This site and all of u have been reassuring during my preop jitters and im def hanging around well after!
Valerie G.
on 9/16/12 6:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Something like pudding goes down so nice and easy, but you'd be shocked how hard it would be to eat the same amount of chicken, so don't sweat it.  Now, when you're with your son, do NOT NOT NOT pick him up.  You should push/pull/lift/carry nothing more than 8 lbs for 8 weeks, and I highly recommend babying yourself as long as you can after that too.   Hernias are way too easy to get.  Instead, sit your butt on the floor or on a sofa where he can climb up with you.  

I'm 2 months now without my boy (18 yrs old in boot camp) and it's driving me crazy.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

espiset
on 9/17/12 9:43 am - Dallas, TX
VSG on 09/06/12
2 ounce incremints are perfect. I had problems with 'chunks' of protein not mixing well, so now, I'm using my blender daily for everything. It's a little bit of a hastle taking it apart and washing it and what not, but I think it's worth it, makes the food a better quality. Good luck and don't over do it when you see your little man tomorrow!

Hugs, Love and Lots of Skinny Thoughts! ~Beth

lady_myst
on 9/17/12 10:02 am
Bless your heart!  I am a single mom and I can relate.  I would like to tell you that you are normal and the feelings will come on strong and then recede...at least they did for me.  If you are like me, and you may not be, but if you are and those feelings make you feel like eating, try writing first.  It helps.  Learning to handle emotions and stress without my major cope...which was food...was difficult for me.  And I had counseling before during and after surgery!  You can do this!  we will cheer you on.  You are doing this and you are doing great. 

As for pain issue...i was alergic to the pain meds and came home from surgery on baby tylenol.  ugh.  i was miserable for a while.  Rocking in the chair and walking helped.  I can offer no advice in this area, just a few prayers. 

As far as the pudding, good on you for stopping!!  great with the little spoon and awesome on following instructions!  WOOOOOO!!  give yourself credit my friend!  you are doing the right things it sounds like. 

Most Active