I used to wonder if I would ever be able to enjoy food again

Barbara C.
on 9/26/12 4:56 am - Raleigh, NC

I'm more than 5 years post op now and I've always been a bit of a foodie. I often joke that I was like a Jewish Paula Deen before surgery. Not meaning to toot my own horn, but I have been a pretty good cook for many years. The thing is that much of what I made was very similar in many ways to the types of things Paula Deen made. When you cross someone who was raised in the south with someone who has a Jewish heritage, you have a recipe... or many recipe that are laden with fats and carbs.

When I was considering surgery, I wondered if I would ever be able enjoy cooking and more than that eating again. Well, more than 5 years after my surgery, the answer is a resounding yes. I have to say that I don't eat or cook diet food. I want whatever I eat to be wonderfully flavorful and not a second rate substitute in terms of flavor or texture. This is a large part of what has allowed me to maintain my weight. I have found ways to eat what I want, enjoy it and maintain my weight. That said, I must admit that I have made a number of changes and adjustments in the ways that I prepare foods. Sources such as Cooking Light have been invaluable to me as I have learned leaner and lighter techniques that allow me to enjoy old favorites as well as broadening my horizons as I've added new favorites to my repertoire.

Below, is a recipe for Breakfast Quiche Bites. They are a great way to get in the protein in a flavorful, yet healthy way. I often tweak it one direction or another, but the premise is the same for them. Consider trying these as a way to enjoy a wonderful breakfast, lunch or dinner. Also know that they travel and reheat well. While they are great for breakfast when you are in a hurry, I often have two of these with a salad for dinner.

http://img4-1.myrecipes.timeinc.net/i/recipes/oh/12/breakfast-quiche-bites-oh-l.jpg

Breakfast Quiche Bites from Cooking Light

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Neen L.
on 9/26/12 5:54 am - Arlington, VA
I had this same worry, only I'm the...uh...Italian-American Paula Deen. Plus I'm the go-to lady in our family for pastries and other baked goodies. Cooking Light has been putting out great recipes in recent years, moving their focus away from "diet" foods toward minimally processed whole food recipes. It's very refreshing!

I am so happy that you too have found a way to make cooking delicious food a part of your post-op life. For me, learning to not be afraid of fat and carbohydrates was really important. Those foods are a part of my post-op life and I incorporate them in reasonable, responsible ways. If I have a homemade cinnamon bun as a treat, I'm not going to have pizza later in the day. If I'm going to have dairy, it's going to have fat in it because we need the fat in dairy to digest many of the vitamins it contains.

Thanks for sharing the quiche bites. I'd forgotten about that recipe and now have something quick to make for dinner with the random vegetables leftover in the fridge!
:-)

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

Barbara C.
on 9/26/12 6:07 am - Raleigh, NC

Hi Neen,

I think that the key to long term success is doing just what you (and I) are doing. It's learning that fats and carbs can be part of a successful, long term weigh management program. I think that if I really thought that I could never have what many may consider 'forbidden' foods that the three year old in me would take hold and I'd be eating with abandon as I did before I had my surgery.

It's great to see other 'old timers' here. I look forward to checking out your blog and getting to know you better.

Wishing you continued success,

Barbara

Linda_S
on 9/26/12 6:57 am - Eugene, OR
Well, I'm most likely the Russian-American Paula Deen, although most of my mom's side of the family is actually from Transylvania -- not surprised, are you?    Anyway, I developed severe reactive (and, apparently, fasting) hypoglycemia at about three years post-surgery.  There are a lot of things I just can't tolerate -- mostly anything with refined carbs in it.  However, I think whatever you end up with, in this day and age, there are so many wonderful things available and, if you try, you can whip up something delicious even if you do have to change or eliminate some ingredients.  I agree that Cooking Light is a good resource.  I have their old computer program that allows me to load the ingredients of something I'm making and it will give me all the nutritional data.  It's been very helpful.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Barbara C.
on 9/26/12 7:21 am - Raleigh, NC

Hi Linda,

It seems to be that a certain percentage of the population develop severe reactive hypoglycemia and that it normally happens about 3 to 4 years post op. I'm delighted that you are a presence on the boards and can help others that develop this intolerance to refined carbs as they learn to navigate the constraints it poses. I also hope that those who develop this intolerance can learn that this intolerance doesn't mean that they are forever subjected to a bland diet, but that there are many options available to enjoy.

Wishing you continued success in your own journey,

Barbara

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1349 views