10 commandments from a vet - tips worth repeating myself now and then

Valerie G.
on 10/5/12 12:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm about to celebrate my 7th surgiversary from having the DS on Halloween, and was looking to my profile to post an annual update (not much changes this far out, so not as much to write about in-between).  I read what I posted last year, and decided that it's definitely worth repeating this year, especially with so many noobs out here.

My Lessons Learned over the years as a post-op:
  1. Drink, drink, drink.  Don’t whine about it, just do it.  Not only do I accomplish 64 oz every day, but I do at least twice that…sometimes three times.  Yeah, really!
  2. REAL vitamins.  Not flintstones or anything gummy.  Don’t accept anything mediocre because catching up is a real ***** when you fall short.  There are some real vitamin guru’s out here.  I love Andrea U and Vitalady for information.  They’ve studied a lot to keep healthy and have been very generous with sharing.
  3. Be realistic.  Know your stats on what to expect and don’t assume you’re special or different.  This will save a lot of frustration along the way.  I found focusing a goal on a clothing size instead of weight was much better.  I’d been MO for so long that my bone density is high, so I weigh more than I look.  Had I been fixated on a weight number, it would have made me crazy.
  4. There are absolutely no magical creams, lotions, or exercises to prevent or treat loose skin.  Count on it happening and work ahead on how you will deal with it.  How severe its gonna be depends on the ****tail of your age, genetics, how long you’ve been MO, with a dash of simple luck.
  5. Similarly, there are no magical shampoos or vitamins to prevent hair loss six months out from your surgical date.  Google Telogen Effluvium and learn all about it.  It’s going to happen to the majority of you, and it will last 3-5 months and it will go away, no matter what vitamins you take or what shampoo you use.  The best remedy is a haircut with some texture to blend in the new growth so you don’t look like a chia pet when it comes in (and it will).  If you’re more than a year out and it’s happening again, it’s time to check your vitamin levels, for it may be a result of malnutrition.
  6. Get to know your local consignment and thrift stores.  You will reach a point where you need a new wardrobe every 6 weeks.  Go to the ritzy part of town and shop there.  It’s amazing what the rich and privileged discard.  Go armed with a tide pen and plenty of time to just pick through things.  A consignment shop will take the clothes you’ve shrunk out of and fund the new purchases.  I was able to replace my wardrobe for less than $100
  7. Shapers!  I love them in the wintertime and even summer.  Not only do they hold in what’s loose, but they keep me warm, too.  Get some.  There are some I get from Walmart for less than that go from my ankles to my bra.  They sell them by the sock section.  I also like the super-sucker cami's and wear them with just about everything.  Pair them with the other thing I have, and hubby calls me "Ft.Knox"
  8. Padded and molded bras!  They serve two purposes:  first, they have a pre-formed shape to pour your girls losing their own shape.  Second, nobody knows when you’re cold.  I love the Lane Bryant Balconette, myself.   I’m shrinking out of their smallest size (36D now, I think), so I’m on the lookout for something I won’t leap out of when I’m not being careful.  My boobies are like escape artists.
  9. Don’t feel resentful for how people treated you when you were MO.  If they treat you differently now, don’t be a ***** about it.  They have no idea what they are doing and are probably quite sincere about how they’re treating you today. Life is too short.  Just be gracious about the compliments and new treatment and look forward with your head held high.  You’ve done it!
  10. Added for 2012 - never underestimate the power of probiotics.  You don't have to spend a fortune on the bottled and refrigerated ones.  Seriously, a bottle of kefir or a cup or two of yogurt does wonders for my digestive tract.  If I go more than a few days without any, I can tell the difference in how I feel and even can tell the difference in odor of my poo (it takes on a more sour aroma) and the texture.  TMI for some, others are nodding, so develop a taste for yogurt - it has probiotics and protein, a total win/win.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/5/12 12:56 am
That is really good. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kathkeb
on 10/5/12 1:38 am
Great post --

Number 11 for me (to help with maintenance) -- at least once a week, put on my smallest jeans/pants and wear them for at least an hour --- even if they are tight or don't want to zip.
It is a NSV every time they fit comfortably and a warning every time they do not!
Kath

Cindy T.
on 10/5/12 3:24 am - Newaygo, MI
 This is a great idea.  I do something similar...and try on a few of my "off season" outfits every now and then, so I know I am staying on track, and that those clothes will fit when that season rolls around!  It's about accountability!
Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!  

Paul Carrick
on 10/5/12 1:43 am - Eastsound, WA
VSG on 08/27/12
Really good advice (I don't think I have to worry about 7 or 8 though ).

Especially thanks for 9. I'm only about 6 weeks out but I am experiencing it and I was resenting it a bit (a fatal problem for me). It's good advice.

Thanks...

Paul...

HW: 360 SW: 342 GW: 175 CW:  Click to find out  
  "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." - John Lennon

Miss Liss
on 10/5/12 3:01 am
Excellent post!!  And congrats on your success and upcoming surgiversary!!!
Cindy T.
on 10/5/12 3:25 am - Newaygo, MI
Way to "keep it real" for the newbies...and for us who are a few years out from surgery. 

Great post.
Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!  

Tess145
on 10/5/12 4:56 am - Senatobia, MS
 Hi Valeria:

What a wonderful post and excellent advice.  Keep doing what you are doing.

Tess

Starting Wt 306; Losing Wt 155; Goal Wt 145: Regain Wt 225; Current Wt 157
PS:  FDL Tummy Tuck, Hernia Repair 5/17/12, TT Revision, Butt and Thigh Lift 4/18/13

Kat1313
on 10/5/12 5:50 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13
Thank you!  Will add this to my bookmarks for postop info, it will be something I'll want to re-read.
Kathy
cajungirl
on 10/5/12 9:25 am
 Great post Val. Happy Anniversary!

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active