Vegetarianism?

horrible_monster
on 10/5/12 12:47 pm
VSG on 02/27/13
 Hello! Totally new here and overwhelmed. Dozens of questions are percolating in my poor brain. So I'll pick one out of the ether:

Vegetarianism: is this a plausible thing for people who have had bariatric surgery?

Thanks!

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

kathkeb
on 10/5/12 1:14 pm
It depends on the surgery type.

With malabsorption it is very difficult to get enough protein, but has been done.

With restrictive surgeries it is easier to manage.
Kath

poet_kelly
on 10/6/12 3:04 am - OH
It's not that difficult.  I had RNY and eat no meat and I easily get about 90 grams of protein a day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PoohHag
on 10/5/12 1:18 pm - TN
VSG on 06/11/12
 My NUT says it can be done.  Veganism however would be much harder.
Jackie McGee
on 10/6/12 12:59 am - PA
Harder, but also possible if you know what to eat. I was 100% vegan before surgery and 1 1/2 years post-surgery and did wonderfully.

...then I got pregnant and craved burgers and never looked back...

But veganism is possible. It just takes a lot of work, research, food preparation and dedication.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/12 1:42 pm
 I am a  near vegetarian...  not out of philosophy or trying to diet , just cuz I skeeve meat , dairy products eggs and fish most of the time.  

I am 4 years post  RNY and  maintaining my weight and labs just fine on mostly  rice n beans .  

Incidentally , rice , beans , tofu , vegan almond milk cheeses and  fresh homegrown organic veggies (  and protein shakes yum! ) are utterly delicious.... 

horrible_monster
on 10/5/12 2:16 pm
VSG on 02/27/13
  Very encouraging, thank you everyone. It's good to hear that (depending on the individual etc) beans and tofu and so forth won't necessarily be Banished Forever. 

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

Eggface
on 10/5/12 4:33 pm - Sunny Southern, CA
I am 6 years post WLS and not a vegetarian but I find so many of my meals are vegetarian, cheese, milk, eggs, beans, etc. You are welcome to check out what I eat I blog about it. I love these and a ton are vegetarian. I think you can do it... now vegan would be hard... not sure that can be done.

Good luck with your research!
~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

southernlady5464
on 10/5/12 10:43 pm
The only surgery type of the four that does NOT work well with being a vegetarian is the DS. In fact many DS surgeons will refuse to do that surgery on a vegetarian.

Our system needs LOTS of protein and the only way to get 80-150 grams a day, every day, is thru meat.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

poet_kelly
on 10/6/12 3:03 am - OH
Actually, I get about 90 grams of protein, sometimes a little more, every day with no meat.  So there is a way to do it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.