pre-oper's stress eating

Tia T.
on 10/21/12 4:13 pm
Hello,
I am almost done with #4 of my 6 month waiting period, full time college student, wife and mother of a 12 year old that is more challenging than most. Before the Fall semester started I did pretty well losing weight at a slow pace through logging my food with calorie, fat and carb limitis and walking everyday. Since the semester has gotten in full swing everything went out the window. I have gained back a few of the pounds that I lost, I have to walk around campus but do not walk at night like I was, and I stress eat BIG time. When I sit down with my computer to do homework I instantly go for the food. And I crave so many bad things like potato ships and candy bars. I am ok with not giving into all the really bad food that I crave, but have not had time or motivation for logging and lunches on the go (in the campus cafeteria) are higher in fat and calories. The worst part is that it is not even close to finals!!
Any words of wisdom would be great
                                Looking for my inner peace

Mary Catherine
on 10/21/12 5:47 pm
 Just pick yourself up and start over.  If we were the kind of people who were successful with dieting we would not need surgery.  Get through this and get your surgery.  After surgery it is so much easier.  I was never hungry again, I eat small meals, fill up quickly, have lots of energy, and life is so much easier.
Valerie G.
on 10/21/12 9:41 pm, edited 10/21/12 9:42 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
 You may just be a kinesthetic learner (who learns best by doing rather than reading or listening).  The munching helps to hold your attention and help you focus.  Since you need your hands to do your homework, try chewing gum, SF hard candy, or even sucking on ice cubes to help busy yourself while you're concentrating.  If you're in a lecture, bring something to fiddle with your hands.  My favorite is a pipe cleaner that I twirl back and forth around my fingers, or a koosh ball.

Where on earth did this come from?  
I've been a corporate trainer for 12 years, working with adult learners.  There's some tricks to holding attention, and this is one of them.  That's why some trainers have toys and hard candy in class.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

karenp8
on 10/22/12 12:35 am - Brighton, IL
 Thanks for sharing this,Val. That so describes my one son but I didn't know that was why. 
Valerie G.
on 10/22/12 2:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 With the exception of pure memorization, you'll find that he won't have to study as long as he does his assignments and understands them.  Copying notes a couple of times is a great way to get things into his memory as well.  If he has a long reading assignment that he's getting distracted from, try using color overlays on the paper to help snap back his concentration.  Aromas might help too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Scandrona
on 10/22/12 6:39 pm - Hollister, CA
VSG on 07/30/12
I know what you mean!  When I was in college I used to eat to keep myself awake, the longer I was awake the more sugar and carbs I craved, the more surgar and carbs I ate the more I wanted them.  Awful cycle.  I would say start making and bringing your own snacks or lunch to bring to school with you.  Get rid of all the junk food that you can from your house (I know its hard when you have kids) and stock up on carrots and hummus and other healthy snacks that you can munch on while you work.  I know its really hard and college is stressful, but you can do it!  You only have 2 months left, you got this!

"...If one advance confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." 
                                                                                                               --Henry David Thoreau
"Keep Going" --Sensei Jose Miguel Rosas

Most Active