Need re-motivation help- pep talk!

Tonya S.
on 10/26/12 9:48 pm

I had surgery 2 1/2 years ago. I lost 110 lbs, and that was the majority of what I needed to lose. I my goal was 130-140. I've had many losses in my life in the past new months.

1st, I was in my BFF's wedding and she moved away after the wedding. The next month I found out they are closing my department where I work and I would be out of a job, all the while my dad went into Hospice care. The last day of my job was Aug 9th, my dad died on Sept 4th. I started a new job (less hours making a already poor financial situation worse)- so now I'm trying to learn with all this drama going on. Next we are losing our home to foreclosure, so add moving to the list.

I've gained 10 lbs back over this time. I have always wished I could "cure" myself from eating emotionally and it's evident that I have not done that! I know to keep telling myself that I came to far to go back, and those types of self talk. Has anyone went back on the pre=op diet for these kinds of gains?

I know some good old therapy would be the best- but I don't have the money for that- or the time honestly. My 7yo was diagnosed with AHDH and Oppositional defiant disorder this year too, he needs it more than I do!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and will be considered!

" You will be safe in his arms, the hands that hold the world are holding your heart"
Laura in Texas
on 10/26/12 10:34 pm

Yes, life is tough. We all have issues. Forgive yourself for the gain. Stop making excuses and move on from here. Track your food and move more. You can do this.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Carol S.
on 10/26/12 11:07 pm - Milwaukee, WI

You seem to have a lot on your plate-could it be time to talk to someone?  It is ok to take time for you and you need to do that if you're going to do this long term.  It doesn't always have to be a therapist that you talk to..your county may have a mental health program that can help for far less than you think.  Have you considered 12 step support via Overeaters Anonymous?  Peer support is a wonderful way to get "free" support.  Does your surgeon have support group meetings?  If we don't take care of ourselves, there is no way we can effectively take care of others.

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Imamiracle2008
on 10/27/12 10:06 am - Tinton Falls, NJ

Hi Sonya,

Im so sorry for what is going on in your life. Being an emotional eater is tough enough to battle but to have more than one stresser at a time and trying not to eat is like setting yourself up for failure. When you start to feel the stress creeping up and you go to grab something to eat try to do something creative or go for a nice walk or treat yourself to a nice hot bath. Good luck to you and I will keep you in my prayers. It will get better, I promise.

'View

Mary Catherine
on 10/27/12 11:35 pm

Sonya,

It is perfectly normal to have a bounceback gain of about 20 pounds after the honeymoon period.  So think of what happened as normal regain and do not feel guilty about it.  

I belong to an online Overeaters Anonymous recovery group.  therecoverygroup.org has online meetings and a mailing list where you can interact with other members.  There is plenty of help and support.  There is never any charge for attending an OA meeting.  Learning about and working the 12 steps can be a life changing experience.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1379 views