Whats on the menu for Thanksgiving? Traditions?

Tammy H.
on 11/13/12 9:31 pm - Greenville, OH

What are you fixing for Thanksgiving?  Do you always have the same foods each year? Do you plan on trying a new dish?

Any special Thanksgiving traditions you would like to share?

Have a great day...Eat healthy...Make good choices...Tammy

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only TRUE FRIENDS will leave footprints in your heart...And may that friendship have such a ONENESS that when one weeps the other will taste salt...Friends are like balloons ; once you let them go you can't get them back....So I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you.

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/12 10:07 pm, edited 11/13/12 10:08 pm - PA

I am eating at my moms again this year. last year i was about 5 weeks out when Thanksgiving rolled around so i ate one bite of stuffing, 2 very small bites of turkey and one small bite of sweet potatoes. lol. 

this year i just cant wait to eat her stuffing. cause she makes the best stuffing, and shes making home made gluten free bread as the stuffing base, which just means it will be all the more tastier, cause home made bread makes everything taste good. then of course the turkey, the sweet potatoes and my sisters making a green bean casserole.

then theres desert which i will take a slight indulgence in, a low carb gluten free pumpkin cheesecake and an apple crisp.  

im actually excited for turkey day this year

Tammy H.
on 11/14/12 4:35 pm - Greenville, OH

We usually fix so much food between several families...its unreal...I keep telling them that we really don't need all that food...Just so many temptations...Guess thats where determination and willpower comes in...My family usually has: Turkey, homemade dressing, noodles, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, corn, 2 different cheese balls and crackers, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, deviled eggs, 3 different pies, cherry cheesecake and I'm sure Ive missed a few other dishes.

I hope you enjoy your stuffing as you call it...It sounds delicious...We've always called it dressing...Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only TRUE FRIENDS will leave footprints in your heart...And may that friendship have such a ONENESS that when one weeps the other will taste salt...Friends are like balloons ; once you let them go you can't get them back....So I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you.

MyLady Heidi
on 11/14/12 2:07 am

If its nice we are considering going to NYC for the parade, probably eat pizza.  lol  Thanksgiving died for me when my grandmother died, it has no meaning anymore, I have no family besides my son and he spends the day with his cousins family.

Tammy H.
on 11/14/12 4:37 pm - Greenville, OH

Lucky you, Ive always wanted to go to NYC and see the parade, all the people, the big buildings...Do you live close to there?  I am from Ohio.

Sorry to hear that your Grandmother died...Am sure she would want you to have a joyous thanksgiving, and make new memories.

SandieMc49
on 11/14/12 2:22 am

Thanksgiving morning I am going to my son's house and watching the parade with my granddaughter.  Keeping the tradition of having "fried dough".  I don't eat it anymore because I can't tolerate breads - BUT it's a tradition we want to honor and look forward to. 

I make kick-ass sausage pecan stuffing - so I'm going to make that for sure.  I'm hoping I can tolerate a little of that.  I'm also making a corn casserole dish and will be substituting fat free greek yogurt for the sour cream.  I'm looking forward to that.

Soooooooo excited that the Pats are playing on Thanksgiving night.  It should be a great day!

Tammy H.
on 11/14/12 4:39 pm - Greenville, OH

Oh you are so lucky to have a granddaughter to watch the parade with...What is fried dough?

Ive never heard of sausage pecan stuffing...What all is in that?

Enjoy your thanksgiving holiday with your family.

SandieMc49
on 11/14/12 8:44 pm

I buy a good quality pre-made pastry dough from a bakery.  Heat up a big pan of oil.  Rip apart a hunk of dough and stretch it out a little.  Drop the dough in the oil and let it fry to a gorgeous golden brown.  Embrace the bubbles!  Remove the fried dough with tongs and set on a paper towel to absorb any oil.  Generously brush on melted butter.  Then sprinkle on some powdered sugar and cinnamon.  Major yumness!

For the stuffing, I buy pre-packaged.  I sautee onions in butter and let them coo****il translucent.  I add a can of low sodium chicken broth to the stuffing.  Brown up some good quality sausage (I use Jimmy Deans).  Add that in to the stuffing mix.  Chop up some pecans - 1/2 - 3/4 cup chopped.  This year I am going to add up some chopped Granny Smith apples for a little boost.

Oh yeah, and for both the recipes above, add a lot of love!

Neen L.
on 11/14/12 4:17 am - Arlington, VA

This is the first year that we're not having a traditional Thanksgiving. My mother-in-law passed away a few weeks ago and right now, holiday memories are more painful than comforting for my husband, father-in-law, and I. Originally, we thought we might go up to Pittsburgh and join my family for Thanksgiving, but that's a big group of people and my father-in-law isn't sure he's up for that.

So we're all stepping out of our comfort zone and doing something completely different! We're going to the movies to see Lincoln together and then I got us a reservation at Brabo, a fabulous restaurant in Old Town Alexandria that's doing a three course dinner with wine pairings on Thanksgiving. I'm actually really excited to do something so entirely different, and am kind of looking forward to not having a kitchen that looks like a tornado went through it.

But I'll still make bourbon pecan pie for dad-in-law! He definitely still wants that. mail

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

Tammy H.
on 11/14/12 4:45 pm - Greenville, OH

I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your mother in law...Am sure thats hard on your husband and the rest of your family, especially this close to the Holidays....I am sure though that she would still want you to be together and continue on with the traditions, and create new memories, as well as share the old memories...But I can truely understand how it would be hard because my Dad passed away close to Christmas, many years ago...

Thats great that you are going to do something different...At least the family will still be together...Hmmm, not having a kitchen that looks like a tornado has gone through it sounds SIMPLY WONDERFUL...We usually have our Thanksgiving at my sisters house, and she is going to be gone this year, so we are having it at my house...The thought of a messy kitchen doesn't thrill me any, but it will be worth being together as a family.

Ive never had bourbon pecan pie...thats nice of you to make it for your dad in law.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Most Active