"600 lb. Mom" on TLC Passes Away Two Weeks After WLS

Batwingsman
on 12/9/12 4:16 am - Garland, TX

Wow ..  this is so sad, and a sober reminder of the "ultimate risk" of WLS:  

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/06/600-pound-mom-race-against-time-video_n_2249330.html

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Patm
on 12/9/12 11:34 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

As the title states, it was a race against time. At 600lbs she would have had some major health issues. Not many on this board need to lose 400 lbs

pcballott
on 12/9/12 1:46 pm
RNY on 11/20/12

I saw that as well, and from what I remember, she refused to follow her doctors orders.  She was doing well in the rehab hospital where she was being closely monitored, but she checked her self out before they could actually get her up an walking.  It certainly is a reminder for me to follow the instructions that I have been given!

Gina 21 Years Out
on 12/9/12 9:29 pm, edited 12/9/12 9:29 pm - Burleson, TX

Paul-Did you get a chance to watch the program? While I certain have sympathy for her survivors, she-like all of us-had to take ownership for her own actions..In part, her family also has to take their part of their responsiblity-she didn't get out of the bed to buy those groceries (don't mean to sound so cruel..but you know I am somewhat of a straight shooter)..

As the previous poster said, she did not follow her physician orders, and I'm really somewhat surprised they even DID WLS on her, but I'm certainly not privey to her medical records. Obviously she was a train wreck, waiting to happen. The plan was for her to get to a "safe" weight of 400, from her beginning weight of 600. I'm thinking I read she gained to 667 (my number could be inaccurate, but I know there was a gain)..

Am I judging the mom? Absolutely not ! I dare say we all can identify with her, on some level.

But I also ABSOLUTELY do not appreciate seeing a post that may lead newbies and others to believe a death was directed caused by WLS, without having some background information to back it up.

While I appreciate you sharing newsworthy articles, I wish you would put more thought and information into them, before posting.

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Kim S.
on 12/10/12 1:17 am - Helena, AL

Very well said.

It is sad that someone that clearly wasn't mentally prepared for what was required was given this opportunity when so many people would cut off an arm if they could have this chance and they'd do what is required.

Laura in Texas
on 12/11/12 1:37 am

I totally agree, Gina!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Dolores L.
on 12/9/12 9:53 pm - FL
Revision on 08/14/12

Was the cause of death reported?

CatahoulaLover
on 12/10/12 12:01 am - Kent, WA
VSG on 07/20/12

They don't say what the cause of death was but she wasn't compliant with any part of her care from pre-surgery to post surgery. I'm sure this lead to her death. She refused to diet and admitted she cheated on her food and gained 89 lbs. So at the time of surgery she was 689lbs.  After surgery she stayed in the rehab clinic for 2 days and then checked herself out.  I suspect that she ate herself to death.

Sad but weight loss surgery didn't cause this woman's death, she was her own worst enemy.

08/20/12: -40  09/20/12: -21 10/20/12: -13 11/20/12: -5  12/20/12: -13 01/20/13: -10  02/20/13:-8 03/20/13: ?

Zee Starrlite
on 12/10/12 12:14 am, edited 12/10/12 12:17 am

She was COMPLETELY NON-COMPLIANT!  I am really sad that she could not succeed - Lord knows I was routing for her to win this battle but she did not fight!  She was ignorant and hard headed.  She did not try at all and it seemed she did not mind imposing on people.  WLS should not been approved for someone so wreckless. OMG, she signed herself out of post-op rehab!  WTF!!!  All of us having WLS should have to comply and take a course pre-op before being approved for surgery.  The entire family was ignorant - unfortunately they had to take care of one another and her since they were small children as she could not care for them.

Ugh, I hate stories like this.  I'm still fired up after wandering on Youtube - a DSer surprised she got sick.  Dig this:  she didn't know she needed to take vitamins.  This makes me sick.  Such a wonderful, life saving procedure and people who don't give a damned give it a bad name.  Come on people do your research.  Ignorance and non-compliance does not go with WLS!  Try why don't you!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

TraceyC
on 12/10/12 1:45 am - DFW, TX

The "ultimate risk" is that she didn't comply and ate herself to death for some reason, not that she had a mishap due to WLS.

Sounds like Psychological reasons were to blame for the underlying cause of her death (yeah, kinda a no brainer there). My point: I have no idea why she was allowed to have surgery when she obviously had some very strong emotional problems that hadn't been dealt with. That's just setting yourself or the patient up for failure...in her case regain and death. Luckily, when non compliance strikes one of us it usually only ends in regain (which is bad enough). Ultimately, I feel sorry for this lady's kids. She had a choice, they didn't. 

I have a neighbor who smokes, drinks and is diabetic. He has already lost one leg due to his health issues. His doctors have warned him that he's about to lose the other leg. He continues to smoke and drink. I feel so bad for this man. When the addiction is so strong that you are willing to give up your legs for something, that's pretty deep.   

This lady gave up her LIFE for FOOD. That's not due to WLS, that's due to emotional problems.  

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. Walt Disney 
http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10728;28/st/20110112/n/Blake/dt/-1/k/3fb3/s-age.png">>

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1545 views