4 year surgiversary!

Kristi K.
on 12/9/12 7:03 am - Green Lane, PA

Today is the anniversary of the most life-changing choice I have ever made. Four years ago I was morbidly obese, diabetes out of control and beginning to suffer symptoms of the horrible disease. At 330 lbs .and 47 years young I was quickly becoming a sedentary invalid. My life was becoming so small as I had to give up things I enjoyed due to my size. Today I am 120 lbs lighter and so much more healthy.I can ride horses again! I go to the gym and run and lift weights 6 days a week!(and I actually enjoy it!) I can buy clothes in a regular store! My diabetes is in complete reversal! I am on NO MEDICATIONS!

On the realistic side, food is a daily struggle and I realize that it will always be. I have had a regain of 30 lbs from my lowest weight and that is a real bummer for me. I am working on losing 20 more lbs to be comfortable with my body. It is taking longer than I desire and I am having to learn patience, but I will get there.

To you newbies-follow your surgeon's plan to the "T". Go to support groups. Work on your mental food issues-they never really go away, you just have to learn how to deal with them. Enjoy the journey!

TamiN
on 12/9/12 9:24 am - San Jose, CA
RNY on 10/29/12

Thanks for posting! I am a newbie (6 wks post op).  It's very motivating to see that this "can" be done and has been done. And those simple things in life, such as, clothes shopping, fitting in a airplane seat, going to the gym etc. that are very hard/frustrating to do when you are over weight can only be appreciated by those of us going through the same thing.

I really do believe my mental food issues are going to be my biggest challenge on this Journey.

Thanks for the inspiration, Tami

Laura in Texas
on 12/9/12 7:19 pm

Happy anniversary. Thanks for sharing your story. We have similar starting weights, ages, and surgery dates. I love hearing updates from people who started when I did. Best wishes for continued good health.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Kim S.
on 12/10/12 1:31 am - Helena, AL

Happy anniversary!  I love hearing from those years out!  It can be done, but it is not easy and requires a lifetime of work and diligence....and is completely worth it!

martitalinda
on 12/11/12 2:14 am

Congratulations on your four-year mark ... it is a journey well worth it!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

Most Active