Three months post-op and some observations

AnniesSS
on 12/13/12 9:17 am
RNY on 09/11/12

On 9/11, I had RNY and am so glad I did it!  After 3 months (plus the 2-week protein drink diet), I'm down 65lbs!  I'm quite excited over this, but have some thoughts:

-Having 100% positive reactions and comments from friends/family/coworkers/parents of kids I work with has been so wonderful!  I've read about many people who had some negative-nellies in their lives.

-I joined this forum just before surgery and I read how when you look in a mirror, you can't see the changes!  I see that my face is thinner.  I can feel my collarbone and breastplate. I can see my old clothes just fall off!  But I didn't "see" the difference until I had my photo retaken for our yearbook and compared the me from 1 month before surgery to the newer me 2 1/2 months after surgery and there IS a huge difference! :)

-Food can sometimes still be difficult and if I'm distracted, I forget to chew 30 times and will get slightly "stuck" in  my throat.

-Goodwill has been a GODSEND!!!  I've gone to the 3 stores near me over the past 3 months and have been able to supply myself with pants and skirts that fit and aren't falling off!  When the next set of clothes starts to fall off, I just donate the prior set and get more.

-I didn't feel badly before surgery and I don't feel different, or better now. I still feel like me, only my clothes are smaller.

-Eating dinner with my husband and mother isn't difficult at all. I usually get a smaller plate and I eat until I'm full.  However, I must confess that I told them that after they ate their 2nd plate of food, that I felt sick for them lol  However, I would have had seconds myself prior to surgery, if there was enough. My husband has been wonderful throughout this entire process and just laughs off my comment.  He is thin and has great metabolism and is very healthy.  He's been a great "rock" for me.

-I'm craving a steak something fierce!!! lol  I haven't had steak in almost 4 months and I'd really like to have one, but I'm afraid to try it just yet.  I'm happy with my chicken, fish, shellfood, Mexican and chili :)

-I still have a lot of work to do on my legs - they are and always have been, my weak/fat point.  but I'm still working on it :)

Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

MyLady Heidi
on 12/13/12 4:58 pm

Congrats keep up the good work!

JJ_
on 12/13/12 7:44 pm

Congrats on your success!  At your stage I had already tried roast beef.  I used the slow cooker and the meat was very moist.  Once I was comfortable with this I moved to try a steak (medium rare).  At 3 months out your inside should be healed, and the swelling mostly gone. 

Good luck with trying other foods.

Judy

AnniesSS
on 12/13/12 8:17 pm
RNY on 09/11/12
Thanks Judy! I'll have to give it a try!

jmhilliard
on 1/11/13 11:03 pm

Hi Annie,

Sounds like you're doing GREAT!  So proud of you and your accomplishments.  I went for my 3 1/2 month check this past Tuesday.  I was a little late going due to my doctor's office closed over the holidays.  I've only lost 46.5 lbs.  I have had to buy new pants.  I'm still taking Metformin and a much lower dose of my Lantus (down to 35 units once a day).  I don't go and see my regular doctor until April and my weight loss doctor said my regular doctor may change some more of my meds or even take me off  of them.  I hope you get to try a steak soon!  i want to try one too.  We just have to remember to eat very small bites and chew it like it was our first one ever!  LOL!  Happy New Year and I look forward to hearing from your posts again soon!  Take care and once again, WAY TO GO!

AnniesSS
on 1/15/13 8:03 am
RNY on 09/11/12

Thank you!  Congrats to you on your loss :) and for less meds!  I can almost taste that steak lol

Happy New Year to you also!