Pre-op Question about pre and post op protein

katmom_02
on 1/11/13 1:03 am - Orange Park, FL
RNY on 02/20/13

I am scheduled for surgery next month and am going to have to do a week of clears. I know that this is doable. Also, my program is going to have me on clears for the week after surgery. That pre-op week I am afraid that I will feel SO HUNGRY and I know that I won't feel hungry the week after the surgery, but I will feel exhausted. I am trying to avoid the hunger and the exhaustion by getting protein that I can mix into my clear drinks and my broth.

I know that the unflavored stuff exists, but what is the best kind? I don't want thick and chunky chicken broth or grainy broth either. Is this avoidable? What is you recommendation? Will getting in protein with my clears help to avoid the post-op exhaustion I keep hearing about?

Stephanie H.
on 1/11/13 3:11 am - OK
RNY on 02/12/13

I have heard Unjury has a good unflavored one. I have some that I haven't tried yet (pre-op).  I did try their chicken broth, its not bad at all, not grainy, and no strong protein smells. 

poet_kelly
on 1/11/13 3:22 am - OH

Getting your protein before and after surgery will help you recover.  You need protein in order to heal.

You can try a bunch of different unflavored proteins to see what you like.  You  might want to try unjury.  They also have a chicken broth protein that is mixed with water.  You can order samples at unury.com.

When I was on clear liquids after surgery (just for two days), I drank Cytomax clear protein drinks.  They come in bottles and are sorta like Gatorade, I think.  You can buy them at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe.  Isopure makes clear protein drinks like that, too, which you can also get at GNC and Vitamin Shoppe.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

alaskasusan
on 1/11/13 12:02 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

I'm working on getting my protein up too before surgery.  Living where I do, I learned to make good soup and find my recipes state that homemade beef broth - which you can chill to remove almost all the fat - has around 20-30 grams of protein per cup when made with beef, not just bones.  Sounds like a fairly easy way to get protein before and after, and it has some calcium in it as well as other nutrients.

I do strain the meat out to use in shredded beef dishes, the broth is clear to drink as is or use in cooking.  I am making and canning up beef (and extra chicken) broth to have on hand.

shoutjoy
on 1/11/13 8:17 pm - Culpeper, VA

It sounds like you are doing some great prep work for your after care.  I don't think you will have to worry too much about being hungry after surgery but each person is different.  Most folks are struggling just to get ENOUGH in their bodies :).

Anyway, I think you are on the right track.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

Sparklegigi
on 1/12/13 12:41 pm - La Verne, CA

unjury has a unflavored protein that can go into your soup.  Some people are hungry out of surgery, some are not.  until u r there, you wont know, so dont worry about it now.

Rest to heal, walk alot, drink your water and protein, that will be your job.

alicemenezes
on 1/13/13 6:31 pm

I've heard the Nectar Chocolate Truffle is good. Strawberry Mousse is good too.

denise0530
on 1/17/13 8:10 am - PA
RNY on 05/16/12

The unjury chicken broth is good. I also have unflavored protein powder, never got the hang of how to mix it well.  You can't taste it I just couldn't get it to not be chunky!!

Denise Marie SW 248 CW 156 Roux-en-Y 5/16/12                        

Most Active