Protein intake

Careecans9801
on 1/20/13 5:07 am - cohocton, NY

So I am 6 days post op and I am really having a hard time getting my protein in. My plan calls for 60-80 grams of protein per day and I am lucky to get in 20. I am not able to drink the protein shakes as they are making me ill. I have tried pre mixed ones and ones I make myself in about 6 different brands each. I am eating greek yogurt which is pretty much my only source of protein at this time. I am also able to drink sugar free carnation instant breakfast. Right now my diet is strained soups, yougurt, sugar free jello, sugar free puddings, and thats about it.

I was thinking of making a scrambled egg to eat but I dont want to go against my surgeons plan, however I am really worried about not getting enough protein, any suggestions???

Surgery Date 1/14/13

Hislady
on 1/20/13 5:52 am - Vancouver, WA

Right after surgery it is nearly impossible to get in all your protein, just do the best you can. At this stage liquids are the most important thing to get in so you don't get dehydrated. Eventually you will be able to get more protein in, it just takes some time to get there.

LNC62
on 1/20/13 6:27 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

If the protein shakes are making you ill, you need to call your surgeon's office for other options.  You don't want to end up in the ER. 

By the way, have you tried protein shakes from Unjury or Syntrax?

Eggface
on 1/20/13 6:44 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I don't know many people that could get in all in early on. In the first few days, weeks aim for better than the day before. Sooner than you think you'll be hitting (and passing) your Dr's recommended amounts.  It will get easily to get the grams in when the food stage changes. No worries.

On the shakes... experiment with milks, water/milk combos, etc. I learned early on liquid cow's milk and I were no longer pals (icky feeling, cramps) so I did soy or soy & water mix.

Speedy healing!

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Eggface
on 1/20/13 11:36 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Take a scoop of protein powder and mix it into your Greek yogurt too.  I love Celebrate Vitamins ENS for newer post-ops because you get the added bonus of some extra vits and calcium in it. Hit my blog link below. I just drank one for breakfast yesterday so you can see what they are.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/13 6:54 am

Have you considered Isopure flavored  protein water? A small 8 ounce bottle has 15grams of protein. It is the consistancy of plain old regular water and is not very strongly flavored. I had a difficult time with the thickness of shakes too and found this to be very helpful. Hang in there!

Valerie G.
on 1/20/13 8:43 am, edited 1/20/13 8:43 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I was required to get 100g right out of the gate, and I also hated the protein drinks.  It was the whey that made my stomach turn, just from the pure smell.  My salvation was ProStat64, which tasted absolutely awful, but it packed 15g in one tiny ounce.  I slammed down 2 oz twice a day and got the other 40g with yogurt and ricotta cheese, dabbled with some tender meats.  

http://www.metromedicalonline.com/prostat64.html

It doesn't matter what flavor you get - they're all awful!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MrsLitch
on 1/20/13 11:05 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

Prostat64 is a collagen protein. According to all I've read at least for us RNY folks it is not a good option.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Valerie G.
on 1/20/13 9:40 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Nor for DS long term, as it's incomplete...but you can pair it up with something that is complete and bind it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Jen68
on 1/20/13 10:30 am

Have you tried mixing the unflavored protein (unjury has some that I have tried and dont mind too much) to your yogurt? It would add another 20 grams of protein and get you half way there. Good luck! Hang in there!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1428 views