Braces

Chrissynl07
on 1/24/13 10:28 pm - NC

So this may be a dumb question but i had my sugery Dec 4th and they asked me numerous times because i went back did i have any caps, or fill in, or crowns etc. So now my friend will be having the surgery in July but she is also getting braces in Feb or March. Will the braces effect anything or postpone the surgery?

Valerie G.
on 1/24/13 10:37 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I think it may have to do with the need for an MRI.  They need to know what metals it may be trying to pull out with the magnet.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

southernlady5464
on 1/24/13 10:53 pm

Part of why they ask about caps/fill ins/crowns is that they can come loose and interfere with anesthesia tubing.

Braces are the same way..it's not that they will necessarily prevent surgery, it's just that the anesthesiologist needs to know they are there. It will also help if she sees her orthodontist the week of surgery to make sure it's all stable. That nothing has worked loose.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

kathkeb
on 1/25/13 6:13 am

Generally, the anesthesiologist needs to know if there is anything removable in your mouth --- I have a dental bridge and had to remove it prior to my band surgery --- but the anesthesiologist who did my plastic surgery did not need it removed -- he saw that it fits snugly and left it alone

Your friend can ask - but braces should not cause a problem (and she will be used to liquid meals from the braces!!!!)

Kath

Most Active