Back to the basics!

Frank D.
on 1/26/13 9:31 am - Philadelphia, PA

Back to basics – I can’t recall the last time I logged into this site but it seems to be much quieter than back in 2006 when I had my surgery. Anyway I had originally lost 265 pounds and kept it off for many years until about 2 years ago. I started to slowly gain back weight over the last 24 months (60 pounds) and a month ago got back on the wagon and thus far dropped 27 pounds and feeling good about it and myself again. I just wanted to stop by and post something and see how things are these days @ obesity help.com. Well thanks for reading.

Frank

Don’t forget – It’s not a diet. It’s a total lifestyle change…

Ladytazz
on 1/26/13 12:37 pm

Good for you for getting back on track.  Twenty seven pounds in a month is awesome.  You are almost half way to where you were.  And to keep over 200 lbs off for all this time is terrific, too.  I am sure you will be back where you want to be in no time.  Hang around, it seems to help keep me accountable.  When I started regaining weight after my first WLS I stopped participating in any kind of support groups and it was part of the reason I got so off track.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Hvfaith
on 1/26/13 1:00 pm - St Albert, Canada

Great job! Welcome back.  We'd love to hear how you are going about being on track.  I struggle a lot with yo-yo behaviour and I don't like that part of me, but each day is a new chance to do better.

Frank D.
on 1/27/13 6:55 am - Philadelphia, PA

First let me say thank you for the compliment regarding “keeping it off” for the most part. I have seen too many of us weight loss patient’s gain most or all of it back and a few even gained more than their original starting weight…

Well with that said I’m about to list the things I’ve been doing. Please keep in mind I am almost 7 years post-op, and obviously my pouch can hold more food than back in June 2006.

When I decided enough is enough (about a month ago) I went back to the beginning sort of speak, meaning all the things which where drummed in to my head from the nutritionist (NUT) prior to surgery, like 5 meals a day, never starve yourself, protein first, vegetables, good carbs, etc… you get the idea.

Today I am following those original steps with a few changes since I can eat more than before. Here are my guidelines as follows:

1. Always eat something within the first 30 minutes of waking up. You don’t want your metabolism to fall off into starvation mode… I was taught if this happens your body’s metabolism will remain slow throughout the remainder of the day. i.e. feed it to keep fat burning
  2. Eat something every 3-4 hours, even if it’s just a yogurt or cheese stick, hardboiled egg, vegies etc… I stay mostly with proteins when possible.
  3. Eat approx. 2 pounds of vegies a day (salads without high fat dressing, broccoli, bell peppers, carrots, celery, etc... This helps me stay full and helps with the in between meal cravings, NOTE new patients probably won’t be able to fit this into their newly created pouches.
  4. Avoid all sugars and sweets, cake, candy, sugar sodas/drinks and bleached flour items. Keep with the good carbs only… I personally still dump from cake and candy or foods high in sugar.
  5. I stay under 1600 calories a day, but don’t eat too little either as this will cause the body to reserve, thinking once again your starving it.
  6. Avoid grazing and slider foods.
  7. Plenty of water, caffeine drinks don’t count for water intake. I was taught at least 64oz a day which is had at times
  8. I joined the fitness club and walk the treadmill and ride the stationary bike, I try to

go 3-4 times a week and burn between 500 - 700 calories per visit. Today many of these fitness clubs are affordable; I pay $10.00 a month at plant fitness, which is open 24/7.

1. I added Metamucil to my plan 3 times a day. It’s a dietary fiber supplement which helps keep things moving in the digestive system.
  2. Last but not least, for those of us with smart phones, I downloaded a free app called “Calorie Count” which is free. This I find to be an awesome tool in aiding and tracking my progress.

Note- this is strictly my opinion which is working well for me at this time and I am in no way an authority or professional…

Thanks,

Frank

Don’t forget – It’s not a diet. It’s a total lifestyle change…

Member Services
on 1/28/13 4:34 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Frank,

Congrats on your weight loss AND getting back on track.  Your plan that you're following looks good.  27 pounds in a month is amazing!!  The best part is that you feel good about it AND yourself again. 

OH has Health Tracker which you can use at no charge to track your food, activity and body measurements.  You can access it at the top navigation bar.  You might check it out because it was designed for WLS/OH members.  If you have any questions or need assistance, please let us know at [email protected].

We're very glad that you're back at OH.  WELCOME BACK!! 

To your health - Member Services Team

olelalady
on 1/29/13 1:26 pm - felton, DE

hi frank i also had surgery in 2006 and has gained the last 2 yrs 50lbs and hate it and am trying to get it bk off its nice to know im not the only one, im in delaware my email is [email protected] if i like to chat some times. wtg on loseing.

Andrew L.
on 1/30/13 2:52 am - Klamath Falls, OR
RNY on 04/11/12

Good job getting back on track.  Don't forget there is a very helpful and supportive Men's section on here as well.

ACLakey's Bariatric Blog

Highest Weight 06/2011 = 370
Weight at Surgery 04/11/2012 = 328.8
Goal Weight = 230

Most Active