today was the hardest day of my life.

Melinda S.
on 2/9/13 12:22 pm - TX
RNY on 02/05/13
I cried at every food commercial and all I want is something to eat some substance. I can't believe I was reduced to this. I still would not say buyers remorse but it's just me being pathetic. I go to full liquid Tuesday. I just pray I can make it that long. This is the crappest I have ever felt in my life.
unagordita
on 2/9/13 1:06 pm

I'm not there yet, but I do know it will get better. I'm already feeling deprived knowing what I can't eat, and it's hard if I dwell on it Stay strong you've done the hard part.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/9/13 1:48 pm
Hang in there. It will get better, especially once you can eat again.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Linda_S
on 2/9/13 2:26 pm - Eugene, OR

Turn off the TV.  Read a book or, if you really mus****ch, put in a video.  Food commercials are brutal.  They're designed to make you want to eat.  And, usually, they are for things that are not healthy to begin with.  You just took a drastic step to change your life.  Now is the time when you develop different habits to make sure that new way of life sticks.  Give yourself a hug and move on!

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Emcggre
on 2/9/13 3:00 pm

Been there, advertisers don't realize that they are appealing to a vunerable audience- some days are better than others :)  YOU CAN DO THIS YOU ARE STRONGER THEN YOU GIVE YOUR SELF CREDIT FOR.  During  the liquid phase ( though this is not normally my thing)  I ate hard candy like wethers' that stopped cravings... try it -you may find it helpful :)

tina.k
on 2/9/13 3:22 pm - Taylorsville, KY
Doesn't it feel like you're climbing a mountain with no apex? I agree-go on a TV fast!! One thing that helped me was I kept thinking, "In my lifetime of overeating, whatever I wanted, I had already had-that's what got me where I was!" Time for a new path. You have just begun, it will get better.
katikati
on 2/10/13 12:38 am - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13

Ugh.  I know!  I had a three hour drive home from the hospital, with several stops at the pharmacy, etc.  Thankfully, I slept for over half the trip, but seeing all those signs when I was awake was really hard.  I'm ashamed of how much I wished I could eat those things right in that moment.  Having lost weight naturally in the past, I CAN say that those thoughts and feelings will eventually fade and disappear.  It is also an instantaneous reawakening of them if you slip and indulge, and they come back stronger and meaner.  I'm watching only DVR'd programs so I can fast forward commercials, but I'm seeing that I also need to get off about a dozen restaurant mailing lists.  It's like they knew I'd had surgery, and now Pizza Hut and KFC have united in barraging my inbox with 5 emails a day to break me down.  Thankfully, I do know I'm safe.  I'm WAY too much of a scaredy cat to slip on my post-op liquids and eat something.  There's nothing in the world that could make me do that right now.  I was barely brave enough to try the water at first.  But, it doesn't take the pain, frustration, and pure desire to chew good-tasting things away.  Sugar free popsicles are my saving grace and getting me through really hard moments.  I haven't weight yet, because I know I was pumped full of fluid for days, but I think seeing the scale start to move will also be a huge reward and encouragement from the pervasive thoughts about deprivation.  Hang in there!  We SO have this and can get through it.

Amy R.
on 2/10/13 1:37 am

It IS hard.  Absolutely.

Turn off the TV if it bothers you - and it would be a good idea to throw away the scale right now too.

Then realize that thousands, and probably tens of thousands, of folks would gladly take your place but can't because they either can't afford it or are disqualified due to pre-existing conditions.   I can guarantee you the last thing they would do would be to complain about how they felt postop.

I griped too, and I'm not trying to be mean. But re-set your self pity button and move on.  There are so many worse things in life.

Nothing takes away from what you're experiencing, but maybe you can re-frame your thought process.  Try using this.  My little niece picked up a shotgun and blew her own head off a month ago today.  I am being totally serious here.

Now how bad do you REALLY feel today?

Amy R.
on 2/10/13 1:41 am

Melinda - as soon as I hit send I was sorry I phrased it the way I did. I am having a hard day.  This whole suicide thing has changed everything for us.

When I read you were hungry, all I could think about was my sister in law burying her beautiful daughter and the stark difference in realities.

But you're struggle is unrelated, and just as valid.  I honestly did not mean to suggest it was not.  I'm putting myself on a posting restriction.

I won't delete my first post because I hate it when  folks do that, but I do want to clarify.

I'm sorry.  And really, it DOES get better.  Hang in there.

Stephanie M.
on 2/10/13 3:45 am

Melinda, I know it seems hard and you feel deprived, but if this is the worst thing that has ever happened to you, a little attitude adjustment is in order.  Try to focus on all the positive things; you were able to get WLS, many cannot.  Food is just fuel for our bodies.  When we use it for emotional feeding, it becomes more than that.  You're going through emotional withdrawal right now.  Find some other way to occupy your time.  Record your favorite programs and ff thru the commercials.  Do anything besides focus on what you're missing.  

Make a list of all the reasons you got this surgery and visualize how much better you will feel, look and function at a healthier weight.

best of luck to you...this too will pass :)

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Most Active