finally found a tolerable clear liquid protein.

katikati
on 2/10/13 6:16 pm - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13

I was getting really distraught about not being able to stomach the clear liquid proteins that I'm bound to for two weeks post-op.  (No offense to the following companies, as everyone's taste buds are different.)  I tried the Unjury chicken flavor and am still having nightmares about it.  Not only that, but one serving has permanently scented one of my shaker cups.  I was drinking the Syntrax Nectar Fuzzy Navel flavor and was barely able to swallow it.  At the hospital, they brought Nectar Strawberry Kiwi, and it smelled so incredibly foul to me, and tasted only slightly better than how it smelled.  To try to get some of it down, I poured in some of the sugar-free fruit punch they brought with the tray, which only improved it slightly.  I guess it was a fantasy that I would find some magic flavor and think it was delicious, or at the very least just... good.  I tried my very best to drink some of the fuzzy navel when I got home from the hospital, and managed to get down about 2 ounces of it over a couple of hours by mixing it with orange Crystal Light.  I had one last option, and that was to try the Isopure Zero Carb ready to drink bottles.  I asked my mother to pick up some while she was out today.  She picked up a few flavors that I requested.  When she got home, I took one and eyed it suspiciously.  Alpine punch flavor... it sounds like it would taste okay, but I've been down that road before.  It's nice and clear, doesn't look so offputting.  Hmmm... I tentatively opened the cap, and gave it a sniff.  Okay, not completely vile.  Not the most pleasant scent ever, but it doesn't make me want to cry.  Slowly, carefully, I raised the glass to my lips and took the tiniest sip.  Had I not already been concerned about my current low levels of hydration, I would have allowed myself to sob in relief.  Is it delicious?  Nope.  Is it tolerable?  Absolutely.  I can drink this every day for two weeks and not feel like throwing up at the mere sight of it.  I don't have to cringe and try not to taste it when I sip through the day.  It's a very light flavor.  It does leave a strange, sort of dry feeling in your mouth for just a moment after you take a drink, but it doesn't persist.  I haven't tried the other flavors yet, but I'm so relieved I have found what I needed.  It's more expensive, but hey, I was still spending way more on food every day prior to surgery.  Plus, I don't have to mix it!  Just a grab a bottle from the fridge.  I cannot begin to tell you how much better I feel about things now.  The whole world brightened for me at this discovery.  Thank you, God!

tina.k
on 2/10/13 10:10 pm - Taylorsville, KY
Awesome! So happy for you!
karenp8
on 2/10/13 10:28 pm - Brighton, IL

I like the isopure too. At first smells bothered me so instead of drinking out of the bottle or a glass I used a cup with a lid so .I didn'T smell it!

CarolDE
on 2/10/13 10:35 pm

I had the same problems.  Clear fruit isopure was okay but I still had to dillute it with water- too strong a taste for me, but more fluids.  Now I use Pro Joe coffee.   More expensive this way, but I get in the protein.  Good luck.

michaela67
on 2/11/13 1:21 am

That is the only flavor to me that is tolerable, but I still do half water half proterin. I do two a day.  Good Luck

Jenn D.
on 2/11/13 2:40 am - CT
RNY on 01/29/13
Smells are a problem for me too. I am 13 days post-op. Yesterday we had an outing to GNC and got 4 flavors of the isopure. Today I am sipping the pineapple orange banana flavor. Like you said, not wonderful, but not bad.
Another tip for protein that I found. Every morning I use a packet of the fuzzy navel (or carribean cooler nectar) and mix it with my 1/2 cup of greek plain 0% yougurt. It flavors the yougurt, and it does not smell too bad, plus it adds 23 grams protein right off the bat!
Good luck!
Jenn

Cathrine J.
on 2/17/13 2:17 pm - Victoria, Canada
RNY on 02/01/12

Thanks for the tip about adding the Syntrex protein to greek yogurt.  I ordered their sample pack and have some flavours I'm not keen on trying but I think adding them to yogurt might work.  Can't beat the payoff of higher protein. 

Cathrine

HW 262, BMI 46.2 / SW 216, BMI 38.2 / CW 183 / GW 155
*45 lbs were lost pre-op.
5' 3 1/2"

lala285
on 2/11/13 2:42 am - OK
VSG on 08/06/12

We must have similar taste buds because my experience with various protein powders post-op was very similar to yours. No offense to those who like Unjury, and I'm sure it's a good product, but I could not tolerate the flavor at all. The unflavored was gross and the chicken flavor was foul. The vanilla and chocolate were okay. The Isopure drinks really saved me during those early days post-op because without them I wouldn't have met my protein goals.

Now I have a protein drink most days for breakfast. The powder I use is just the 365 brand from Whole Foods. Vanilla whey protein. My nutritionist recommended it. There are other brands out there that are higher protein, but I always find them too cloyingly sweet. I mix a scoop of 365 with 1 tsp instant coffee (pre-dissolved in a little bit of ho****er), 1 cup of So Delicious almond milk (it has 5g protein per cup vs 1g protein of other brands), 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt, and 1 packet of Splenda or stevia. I shake it in my blender cup with ice and it's like a protein iced coffee. Ends up at 150cals, 4g fat, 5g carbs, 23g protein. Is it as good as a fancy espresso drink from the coffee shop? No. But is it mighty tasty when it comes to protein drinks? I think so!

HW: 291   SW: 273   CW: 168  GW: 153

M1: -22 lbs   M2: -18 lbs  M3: -13 lbs  M4: -10 lbs  M5: -5 lbs   M6: -9 lbs  M7: -5 lbs  M8: -9 lbs  M9: -10 lbs  M10: +3 lbs M11: ? M12: -2 lbs  Stair-step loser.

katikati
on 2/11/13 5:53 am - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13

Just an Isopure update.  The mango peace tastes like... are you ready for this?  ...parmesan cheese.  devil  My mom tasted it an agreed.  The apple melon is a very nice surprise.  It is mostly melon flavored, and just a tiny hint of apple.  I've never been a melon fan, but this is freaking amazing compared to some things I've drank in the last week.  It doesn't have that protein flavor to it.  I'm one happy girl right now.

Hislady
on 2/11/13 8:13 am - Vancouver, WA

You made my day, I thought I was the ONLY person who used isopure! I got sooo many wrinkled noses when I said I used that. It wasn't awesome but it was the only one I could get down. Like you I watered it down and poured it over ice in a cup with a lid and it was very tolerable.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1365 views