sudden symptoms: diarrhea/nausea - please help.

katikati
on 2/11/13 6:00 pm - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13

Sorry for TMI.  I had my first bowel movement post-op this morning.  Since that time I have had diarrhea 4 times.  I woke up after an hour of sleeping and had the 4 attack of diarrhea.  About 30 minutes later, I am having a sudden attack of the first nausea I've had since the first day after my surgery.  Is this normal?  Should I be concerned?  I took a promethazine.  Waiting for it to work.  Starting to feel a slight headache too.

DebsGiz
on 2/11/13 7:37 pm - FL

When in doubt, please always call your surgeon.  There is no way that any of us can know whether or not this is "normal."

You don't want to take any chances...

Please keep us posted!!!

JJ_
on 2/11/13 7:44 pm

Well, congrats on NOT BEING CONSTIPATED!  I bet you are still on fluids so very loose bowels are to be expected.  Nausea should be treated.  Maybe that is what you have taken - promethazine is for nausea? 

The headache may be a slight bit of dehydration if you are having diarrhea.  Coupled with the nausea, I wonder if you are getting enough fluids?  8 cups of fluid per day?

Judy

tipoftheiceberg
on 2/11/13 8:48 pm

Nausea and headaches are signs of dehydration.  Remember to get up slowly from your bed or chair, get plenty of rest and drink fluids as tolerated.  I agree, if you continue to have "diarrhea"  or if you have any questions call your surgeon.  They want you to have a successful recovery.

Valerie G.
on 2/11/13 9:28 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

This is likely a combination.  Headache and nausea from dehydration and the diarrhea from the bowels finally releasing.  A call to your doc would be a great idea to be sure.  They'll likely suggest immodium for the diarrhea and may have you come in for IV fluids for the nausea.  In the meantime, remember your 64oz minimum is there for a reason, and now you know the reason.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

rocky513
on 2/12/13 6:44 am - WI

Nausea and diarrhea are also a sign of lactose intolerance.  Are you mixing protein powder with milk?  You might want to try almond or soy milk instead.  If your protein powder has whey concentrate in the ingredients, it contains lactose.  Find a protein powder that is whey isolate only.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1457 views