two weeks post-op and severe insomnia.

katikati
on 2/20/13 9:44 pm - Eads, TN
VSG on 02/06/13

The last two nights have been miserable for me.  I cannot sleep and at is driving me crazy.  My eyes get tired and my body is tired, but there is something inside of me that is just not shutting off and going to sleep.  I feel like this has to coincide with my transition to full liquids, which also happened two days ago.  I lay here and my whole body feels agitated.  My legs are restless, I have little pins and needles here and there.  Not the kind that you get when a body part has gone to sleep, but... I don't know how to describe them.  Just these little annoyances here and there on my body that make me fidget, scratch, and just want to scream my bloody head off.  Twice now I have had a mini temper tantrum out of sheer frustration where I just throw the cover off and flail my legs like a two year old not getting her way.  I was up all of night before last, finally fell asleep after dawn and woke up 30 effing minutes later.  I did get some more fitful and interrupted sleep after that for a while.  I have been up all night tonight,  Not one minute of sleep.  I do have medicine I can take, and I guess I'm going to have to.  I just haven't because between all of my regular medications and my vitamins, I feel like I'm taking something every 5 minutes, and these protein shakes are making me feel so full that it is just work trying to get everything in.  I have two things on hand I can take.  One is a prescription, and it leaves me so incredibly groggy all day that I'm useless.  The other is Tylenol PM, and I just haven't done the research to make sure it's okay to take it.  I'm pretty sure it is, so I'm about to just take it and sleep all morning. I'm really wondering if it's something in the Premier protein drink kicking up the restless leg syndrome.  It's seriously about to make me kick a wall in frustration.  Thanks for listening.  x[

suzie12345
on 2/20/13 11:14 pm

Relax. Your body has been through a lot. I had the same thing- I think its an after effect from anesthesia and the surgery.  It will get better. Hang in there. I used to go on OH and other websites when I couldn't sleep or I would take a warm shower and then listen to relaxation tapes (if I had to go to work the next day). It WILL get better :)

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/21/13 2:50 am

Unless you need the Tylenol for pain - a small generic Benadryl pill is what may work for you,  

Each gelcap/geltab/caplet of TYLENOL® PM contains
500 mg of the pain reliever, acetaminophen,
and 25 mg of the sleep aid, diphenhydramine HCl.

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is a brand name allergy medicine

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cinn
on 2/21/13 4:43 am - MI

First of all, relax and breathe. You're okay. This is typical, although you won't have a doctor tell you so.

I didn't sleep on my own for an entire year post surgery. After one full week of insomnia, I went crazy with a panic attack. Who wouldn't, right? At the hospital, they shot me full of Lorazepam for my 'anxiety attack." Nothing. But they ignored me saying it surely is working.  

I found out from OH that many of us suffer from this. Nobody has really said why but I think it's hormones and the shock to your system.

My surgeon was a butt munch and said "I worked on your stomach NOT your head!" It took my home care nurse to make some calls to get me a sleeping pill. Took a few tries until we found something that worked. I was on like 30 mg. of Temazepam PLUS clonazepam. Dangerous! We got me on a high dose of just the clonazepam and it worked. But my primary doctor didn't want me on it long term because it causes liver damage.

So my shrink (the one I had to see before surgery for approval) got me on Seroquel. It's typically used for bipolar disorder but knocks you right out if you don't have it. I was on 300 mg of the stuff! If I took that today I'd be asleep for a week!

Around this time Michael Jackson died from begging for any drugs that would make him sleep. I SO understand the man's plea. All I wanted was sleep! Put me under! Unless you've been there, you don't understand. When I heard of the medications he was on, I got scared. Very much like my line-up. So starting that day, I began slowly cutting back. Cutting my pills into 1/8, then into 1/4.... until I was off everything.

Today a Tylenol PM or a sleep aid would do the trick but an entire bottle wouldn't after surgery.

The purpose of my long story is to let you know you WILL eventually get sleep. Please don't panic. If I ever experience this again, at least I know I will sleep again. If you can't sleep, ask for a script. If it knocks you out, cut it in half or quarters or 1/8's.

You are not crazy, you are not having some odd reaction, you are normal. If you haven't slept for a couple days, I'd recommend taking a pill. Then try again to sleep on your own. Repeat until you don't need them.

I hope this helps. I so wish someone had told me all of this when I was there. I thought I was dying and I don't ever want anyone to feel that way. {HUGS}

Oh, and I had the twitches, too. I couldn't sit, stand, lie down, w/o feeling like I was going to jump out of my skin. It eventually went away, too.

Huwa1927
on 2/21/13 9:39 am - NY

hi there!   I am 5 weeks post op and the first 2 weeks where terrible of NO SLEEP!!  I did the same as you with temper tantrums!!  I was taking benadryl and melatonin and nothing helped!!! I finally went to my regular Dr. for a sleep aide... she gave me Ambien!! I hate to say I love it but I really do...I get a full night sleep and NO longer feel tired during the day and have more energy!!  

Hope you find something that works for u!!!!!

walterswife
on 2/21/13 11:41 am

I never had insomnia before surgery but unfortunately it is an issue now. Early on it cleared up and didn't have a problem. Then things got stressful for me in a variety of ways. This past year has been difficult but being healthy in all other ways makes it much easier.  I go to sleep but just can't sleep long enough to get all the sleep I need or want. I hope things get better. Congratulations on your surgery. 

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Eggface
on 2/21/13 1:17 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Try not to stress. Lavender, warm bath, decaf tea (vanilla rooibos is one of my favs)

Talk with your Dr but I will tell you (post-op 6 1/2 years) I sleep 4 hours a night on a good night since weight loss surgery and I know TONS of post-ops like me... not sure what its all about, I have some theories but it seems like the new norm.

Wishing you Zzzzz's

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

ladibug6803
on 2/22/13 12:24 am - NY
Lap Band on 06/14/11 with

try taking a warm bath with epsom salt about 1/2 hour b4 u go to bed....it seeps into ur skin & helps you relax ur body, i use the soothe & sleep one with lavendar.....tea helps too they have a sleepy time mix that'll help u relax...try listening to relaxing music on ur ipod & this might sound silly but i pray...i say the rosary in my head & it helps soothe my mind....good luck!

woelkcc
on 2/22/13 4:31 am

Hello!! 

I just wanted you to know I am 22 months out from my surgery and for the first 6 months my husband said I didn't sleep but a couple of hours a night and the hours I did sleep were light.  After the 6 month mark I started to pass out when it was bed time.  I too had the hardest time relaxing enough just to doze off and my legs were so relestless I thought I would go nuts.  I know exactly what you were trying to explain  Your body has so much new energy it doesn't know what to do with its self and wants to go go go.....Try exercising hard..legs.. before bed then a warm shower.  I don't like prescription drugs so go with the Tylenol PM it works great, only last for 4-6 hours and no grogginess.  I hope this helps some...know someone else went through it.  Hang in there its well worth it!!