What do you wish you had for your recovery?

NurseBonBon
on 2/24/13 2:20 am - El Paso, TX

I'll be having surgery *hopefully* in April. What do you think I should have on hand post op?

I'm married with two children. I have about 2 weeks off after surgery.

Was there something you were grateful you had on hand?

Valerie G.
on 2/24/13 3:10 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

For the hospital, a hairbrush and chap stick are the only two things I pulled out of my bag (everything else stayed in there).  The hospital had a toiletry kit for me and an extra gown to use as a robe, so I wouldn't soil anything of mine.  What I didn't bring that I wish I had was some hair conditioner and ear plugs.  BOY do I wish I had some ear plugs, from the whiny person next to me to the beep, beep, beeping going on all day and night in the other rooms.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

NurseBonBon
on 2/24/13 7:48 am - El Paso, TX

Yes!  Thank you! Chapstick is a must! :)

Karen8268
on 2/24/13 4:05 am - NH
RNY on 10/02/12
Only 2 weeks off? Depending on what you do for work, you may find yourself wishing for more time! Lol. But seriously, I wore comfy clothes to hospital and the same outfit home. Lip balm was a must but the hospital provided everything else. Good luck!!

NurseBonBon
on 2/24/13 7:49 am - El Paso, TX

Yes, sadly on 2 weeks off :( I know I'll want more time off but I guess I'll just deal with it...mehhhh

Comfy clothes, got it! Thank you!

Daraja
on 2/24/13 5:21 am - Stockton, CA
VSG on 02/25/13

I have surgery on tomorrow and my friend told me to make sure I buy some wipes...cause I'll be in the bathroom alot and I will be chaffing.

NurseBonBon
on 2/24/13 7:50 am - El Paso, TX

I'm excited for you! Please let us know how you're doing :)

EEk baby wipes Oh my...

starchase83
on 2/24/13 4:11 pm - Irvine, CA

Maybe I've been in the hospital too many times prior to WLS...

dry shampoo, lip balm your own socks, extra pairs of panties, body wash, deodorant, regular shampoo 

At the house:

body pillows, depending on how your tummy hangs you may need to sleep at an angle and need 2. I eat a lot of flavored ice, you know like lemon flavored it keeps me from drinking water too fast. Stretchy pants, leggings. I learned that the hard way. Colloidal oatmeal for the bath with the loss of nutrients your ski gets dry easier and udderly smooth.

I get bored easily so I brought sudoku, crosswords and knitting for killing time. 

I was up and running in a few hours b/c the nurses said if I wasn't it was gonna be a catheter. no

NurseBonBon
on 2/24/13 10:58 pm - El Paso, TX

Super helpful! Flavored ice sounds like a great way to stay hydrated. Thanks!

SandieMc49
on 2/24/13 8:56 pm

1.  "slip on" slippers: - like moccasins (no backless) - you'll be walking a lot and you don't want to trip over rugs, thresholds, etc.

2.  a back rub with a soothing lotion

These are two things I didn't have, but I would have wanted for sure!

Most Active