Turning to my OH friends for Support and Advice

Helen B.
on 2/28/13 2:12 am - Lake Placid, FL

Hi My OH family,

I haven't been here in a while and I realized I need to make an effort to visit daily! 

I was three years out from my RNY in December 2012.  My starting weight was 297.  I got down to my lowest was 168.  Then people started telling me I was too thin, that I should eat.. So I started to eat “normally”. 

The carbs snuck back in and so did sugar in small amounts.  I wasn’t exercising and finally in October 2012 I decided to start getting back on track as my scale was getting close to the 200 mark (196).

I started running (couch to 5 k program), and I started weigh****chers at work with my co-worker (she has not had gastric bypass).  I followed the WW plan to a T, and was running 3 times per week for at least a mile.  My co-worker enjoyed the fruits of losing weight, and my scale wasn’t budging.  We did a 16 week program and I religiously ran, and my scale would go down and up, but not wanting to go below the 190’s.  I managed to lose 10 pounds while my co-worker lost 30!

I decided to add to my running program, biking and this week I added kick-boxing.  I called my surgeon’s office and they advised me to do the following instead of WW.

Calories 1500

Protein 60-70

Carbs 150 – 200

I have been religiously above 70 g of protein and near the 1500 calories and carbs are way below 150 and the scale is still barely moving.  My exercise is at 5 days per week 45-60 minutes per time, and I have even been walking 20 minutes at work on lunch.

So what am I doing wrong?? 

Please help!

Helen

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/28/13 2:27 am, edited 2/28/13 2:28 am

HUGS...

The plan may work for  a "normal" person.. but it doe snot look like it is working for you.

For me to be able to lose weight I need to be on a low carb - high protein diet.

In my plan I need no more than 1200 cal, with 120-150 gr of proteins, 40-50 gr of fat and no more than 60 gr of carbs - and that needs to be complex carbs from veggies and some dairy. 

The 1500 cal - is simple a maintenance level for me. but with high protein and low carbs. That many carbs - I only eat when I really work out very hard...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Helen B.
on 2/28/13 2:34 am - Lake Placid, FL

Thank  you for your post.. I think my doctor's office said 1500 calories due to my excercise..

It's very frustrating to be putting forth all of this effort excercising and not seeing results.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/28/13 3:01 am

I get that. But whatever you doing - it is not working for you. Maybe it is time to change.

Most of us have metabolism that is broken.   There are a lot of ladies on here - veterans - that "spend" 50-600 calories more than they eat and they do not lose.  

If you burn 300-500 calories daily - getting 1200 will make sure you get 700-800 net calories... If you exercise that much - then increasing the proteins may help you to burn fat and get more muscles. 
I know what works for me.   If I followed my nut advice - I would gain. She suggest low carbs, and "healthy" carbs. Carbs make me hungry... proteins and fat - makes me full and keep me full. That also stabilized my BS - I can limit how much I eat...

A lot os us long term post op RNY need to follow relatively low carb diet to lose weight... nature of the beast...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Helen B.
on 2/28/13 3:13 am - Lake Placid, FL

I will give it a try!  Thanks!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/28/13 2:38 am

I realize I am only a journeywoman, not a vet, but carbs do seem to slow the weight loss. I agree with Hala; that is too many carbs and not enough protein for most of us. And I don't know about you, but the more carbs I eat (with the exception of dairy and beans) the more carbs I want  to eat.

At almost 18 months out, my weight loss has slowed to a crawl, and I am 18 pounds from goal. So I have been focusing on reducing my body fat percentage instead of just the scale. Body fat is a better overall predictor of health.

You are losing weight; just not as fast as your coworker. It seems to be that the closer we get to our goal, the more slowly the weight comes off.

Take care.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Helen B.
on 2/28/13 2:43 am - Lake Placid, FL

Thank you..

For the most part I am not eating carbs..just the ones from milk, yogurt and fruit.

Helen

sarapilar
on 2/28/13 12:22 pm, edited 3/1/13 3:07 am
VSG on 02/21/13

I am not a Vet, but the Vets on the VSG Board swear by 80 - 90 grams protein, lots of water (at least 80 oz), and super low carbs - below 40.  I also had a personal trainer once who is a certified nutritionist and he prescribed this too - a "modified Adkins".  The food were basically no carb food - avocados, dense protein, fatty meats, macadamia nuts, no yogurt or cottage cheese - only high fat dairy like Gouda and Whipping cream, and only a cup of blueberries a day.  Blueberries as the only fruit.  You could also do some more shakes like Syntax Nectar shakes, which are zero carb.  This may seem 'extreme', but it seems like you need something extreme.

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Helen B.
on 2/28/13 9:52 pm - Lake Placid, FL

Thank you.. I am willing to try anything as I am doing the excercise.. and if I don't start seeing results..I may give up

Helen

MyLady Heidi
on 2/28/13 2:18 pm

I do 1000-1200 calories to lose, 1500 is more a maintenance calorie amount for me.  If I want to lose I get very serious abou****ching everything, eating 60 grams of protein and drinking lots of water.  It works for me I am still

Most Active