Interesting read: Weight-Loss Surgery's Weird Alcoholism Risk

Eggface
on 3/1/13 2:23 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Thought I'd share this interesting read...

http://www.thefix.com/content/gastric-surgery-alcohol-abuse- switching-addictions8421

Working on the head stuff, hardest part of this journey, IMHO.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

stella01
on 3/1/13 6:10 pm - MD

Hi,

The information on your site is good.

Thanks for sharing.

M M
on 3/1/13 9:03 pm

Not weird.  Truth.  Alcohol gets absorbed differently after gastric bypass, because BEFORE:  

Eggface
on 3/1/13 9:31 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

That was their title not mine... seen it up close I agree Beth not weird, sadly more common than you think.

It is an interesting article with some parts I agree with and others I can argue over a bit. The take away I think especially for pre-ops, newbees is life is going to happen and if you used food to self medicate before and that is not an option (at least for awhile, though sooner than you think it can be again) ***find something else and better yet begin to work on the stuff***

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/1/13 10:40 pm
Good one. Thanks.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MyLady Heidi
on 3/2/13 7:02 pm

My bf's family has a string of family members who were alcoholics or binge drinkers, he chose to never see if he could be so lucky himself and has never drank, ever, not once and it would be pretty easy for him too since he and his brother own a bar.  So seriously if everyone has heard these facts, and I remember hearing the same stuff back in 2004 why on earth are people who had wls testing these waters.  Its ******g stupid.  I haven't ever tried illegal drugs or cigarettes because they are addictive, I get you have to eat everyday but no one has to drink or do drugs, it is a risk not ever worth taking .  If our community keeps ******g up the outcome and success of wls, it will be the nail in the coffin of insurance coverage.  I never want to feel guilty that my behavior might make someone else die because they could not get covered surgery.  It's time we all stood up and took responsibility for all our actions and stop making accuses.

cajungirl
on 3/2/13 10:56 pm
Great article! The head games are crazy, it takes a strong person to go through WLS, it's definitely not for sissies.

I definitely believe dealing with the head issues is a must! For some it's a lifetime of commitment to therapy, others do well without or just a few counseling sessions.

I know people that have turned their food addiction to other addictions be it shopping, alcohol, prescription or illegal drugs or sexual escapades. Denial seems to be high amongst post-RNYers that they need help. It's really sad to see a friend spiral out of control and nothing you can do to help them because they don't want help.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

billmacc7
on 3/3/13 1:36 am - MA

Good Article. I tell many people that my journey for WLS has made me draw the following conclusion....The surgery is a physical response to MY eating issue which is a Psychological ailment. The head stuff truly is a challenge post op.

Yours in WLS,

Bill Mac

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

Feralgirl
on 3/4/13 11:17 pm - Canada
RNY on 06/29/12

I tried a drink one weekend. I had 1/2 a shot and I was drunk. Not buzzed...drunk. It scared the hell out of me, that I could get wasted so fast off of nothing. Then it was gone 15 mins later. Forget that! My little experiment was over, it freaked me out too much! D:

I can honestly see people transferring addictions, and how easy it is. I'm still trying to find my 'coping' strategy (I think it's my art and cardio, those make me feel a lot more grounded), and it can be overwhelming. Everything happens so fast with WLS, sometimes it's good to see a professional who can help sort out the wires up there haha!

No I think I'll just fake it by sipping cranberry juice if I have to forever ;) Not worth the risks.

RNY Date - June 29th 2012

Gall Bladder out Jan 17 2013