long time bander...revision to sleeve

tia47
on 3/6/13 8:44 pm - cleve, OH
Good morning every one. I had my lap band placed almost 10 yrs ago with close to 180 pounds down. 2 mos ago I had upper gi done to discover a horrendous esophageal dilation. Fluid came out. I've been struggling with losing, getting right fill etc for prob 2/3 yrs. It's time for it to come out. I'm sad about it but honestly I have another 160 lbs to lose. I'm not ready for a full bypass so I've chosen the sleeve. I've read band to sleeve revisions don't do as well, harder surgeries etc. My original surgeon in Tn. Is supportive of the surgeryand my surgeon here in Ohio. I ju have general concerns and really could use some feedback. Thanks, t.
Zee Starrlite
on 3/7/13 12:14 am

The first thing I would do is have the band removed and rest my esophagus for a good while before having any revision. 

All BesT!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Mary Catherine
on 3/7/13 12:41 am

With 160 pounds to go, it seems like you could really benefit from malabsorption. 

Valerie G.
on 3/7/13 1:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I tend to agree that even though you've accomplished so much with the band, that with 160 lbs to go, you could benefit from the edge of the altered metabolism of the RNY or DS.  I think the complexity of the revision is a combination of damage the band has done to you over the years combined with the skills of the surgeon.  If your surgeon isn't confident - find one who is!  He may not be as experienced with revisions as another surgeon may be.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

thinlizzie12
on 3/7/13 4:00 am - KS
DS on 01/24/13

I revised my band to the DS.... after 6 years of not really being able to eat this or that I knew i needed some re routing. With that said....I have lost more with the DS in 5 weeks than I did with the crap band. I don't regret it at all. 

Hislady
on 3/7/13 6:24 am - Vancouver, WA

I know from reading here that revisions can have a little more difficult time losing but it doesn't seem to be too bad, just a little slower. I agree the DS would be the best choice but the sleeve may well work too. The band is notorious for not working after awhile and causing a great deal of damage. The difficulty of the surgery depends on how much damage the band has caused already. I do know several people who have revised from band to sleeve who have done very well and lost all they were hoping to. I think determination has far more to do with success than whether it is a revision. Good luck to you.

tia47
on 3/7/13 8:13 am - cleve, OH
Thank u all for replying. My band hasn't done any damage that I'm aware of. My esophagus is back to normal after 2 of the unfill. It's still in the position it's supposed to be in. I never had the problems others have had with it . I chose the sleeve as its restrictive which is what I need. For me, the bypass is really a last resort and at 47 I'm not there yet. I need that full feeling which the sleeve will give. Both my band surgeon and my to be sleeve surgeon agree. I made sure with my surgeon now how he felt about taking out my band, skill wise, and he's done many many revisions from bands to both sleeve and bypass. My concerns are time off from work, blood clots post surgery etc. Also, revision in general. T.
Most Active