protein powder no flavor

michaela67
on 3/5/13 9:15 pm

I am starting to gag every morning when I make my protein shake. I have read on other post that you can get unflavored protein powder is this correct. If so is it a whey powder and is it that big scoop?? What are some examples you can put the powder in that you wont taste it. I cant drink the shakes anymore

Karen8268
on 3/5/13 9:46 pm - NH
RNY on 10/02/12

"Unflavored" doe not mean "no taste".  I have a horrible aversion to ANY protein powders.  I can't stand the smell or taste of ANY of them!!  My protein comes from food now (5 months out).

I tired over and over again to put many brands of "Unflavored" powders into my food to get extra protein (ex. mix into pudding, oatmeal etc.) but no luck.  I could still smell it and taste it.

Unfortunately........it is all trial and error.

Nik at Bariatric Foodie has some wonderful suggestions for adding protein into your foods!!

You have to check her out!!

Good luck!!

Eggface
on 3/5/13 10:28 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Yup unflavored means not chocolate or not orange creme. Not without taste in fact most unflavored without the chocolate or whatever flavor taste worse.

Some tips:

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/10/icky- brown-gack.html

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Mary Catherine
on 3/6/13 2:06 am

Open up the container and smell it.  If it has a putrid smell it will have a putrid taste.  The best smelling and tasting proteins are from BSN.  Try their Syntra-6 or Lean Dessert brands.  Both smell like cake mix.

AlreadyGone
on 3/6/13 2:45 am - NC

I am only 2 weeks post VSG and have already found some that I liked pre-op now taste funny post-op. I ordered samples from a few companies that offered them before I bought the big can. Just like unflavored doesn't mean no taste, samples don't necessarily mean free :-( I also mooched from other patients that were willing to share or traded for a favorite. I found the UnJury really has no taste, but I can't tolerate the smell (what is that?!?). I have been using Syntrax Nectar Unflavored and doing o.k. Don't sweat putting the whole scoop in at once. Most of them mix in pretty well and you can add a little at a time if it looks like too much. The first time I compared the scoop to a sf pudding cup (4oz) I thought I would be making protein Play-Doh, but it dissolved eventually. If I find the protein taste too strong, I just don't add it all. A 2gm pudding cup is better for me than a 0gm one and a couple of bites is better than nothing. I also use a sno-cone maker for shaved ice and tried a few shakes pored over them. Although I can't swallow them that cold, it dulls my taste buds to the odd taste I am more sensitive to now. If you find any other good unflavored ones please post it. They are so subjective, but I'll try anything ...once.

Jackie T.
on 3/6/13 4:00 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

A lot of people have problems with the smell of protein powder.  Unflavored does not mean no taste.  I mix unjury unflavored in 8 oz of water and then I chose a package of crystal light.  If the smell bothers you, drink your protein drink in a cup with a lid.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

M M
on 3/6/13 5:16 am

All unflavored proteins have a flavor.

They taste like unflavored protein.  

It's a somewhat milky-sweetish sour milk flavor.  

Some of them work better as a savory soup - would that work for you?

Valerie G.
on 3/6/13 9:56 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

IMO there is no such thing as unflavored.  I always tasted the ick

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active