Gastric Artery Chemical Embolization GACE Procedure Helps Shut Off Ghrelin Production...

M M
on 3/7/13 10:27 pm

Ghrelin is a hormone that is secreted primarily by stomach cells with lesser amounts secreted by other cells (as of the hypothalamus), that is a growth hormone secretagogue, and that has been implicated in the stimulation of fat storage and food intake.   If you block it with bariatric surgery or another weight loss procedure (below...) weight loss occurs.  At least it does for a while!

(It worked in baby piggies!)

Stomach Anatomy

Healthday -

The first five patients to try a new, minimally invasive weight-loss procedure dropped an average of more than 45 pounds in six months, researchers report.

The procedure — called gastric artery chemical embolization (GACE) — works by blocking an artery in the stomach. This cuts off part of the blood supply to an area of the stomach that produces most of the hormone ghrelin, which stimulates appetite.

Continue reading "Gastric Artery Chemical Embolization GACE Procedure Helps Shut Off Ghrelin Production Without WLS" »

Mary Catherine
on 3/8/13 12:55 am

I have so much hope that one day there will be a world with no obesity.  That procedures like this and procedures still to be invented will wipe out the stigma currently associated with weight loss surgery and give people the tools they need to be truly successful for a lifetime of health.

MsBatt
on 3/8/13 7:53 am

And with the blood supply cut off, will that area of the stomach not DIE?

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/8/13 10:30 pm
My thought exactly. Or how long it takes for that part to die? Weeks, months or years?

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

huskergalWsD
on 3/10/13 4:44 am

Stop turning to surgeries for all your problems, fix the head first without any surgeries

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~