* Little by Little* Monthly Newsletter for December 2012

Tammy H.
on 3/15/13 12:23 am - Greenville, OH

Little by Little* Newsletter...December 2012

Excuses...Why do I continue to make excuses For Myself???

Excuse #1: The food looks and tastes so good! How can I resist?

It’s true—there will be plenty of terrific foods. But will you feel good after you eat them?...How do you feel afterward? Was the taste really worth it? Could you have received the same pleasure with a smaller amount?

Excuse #2: It’s a special occasion. It only comes once a year.

How many times have you said this one? How many more times will you continue to say it? What do you plan to do about it?

Excuse #3: Everyone else is eating.

Just because everyone is over eating does not mean that you have to over eat also...Choose smaller portions...Just because its there, doesn't mean you have to eat it...Be selective, choose one dessert & share it with someone.

Excuse #4:But, but, but, my company will want some kind of yummy dessert!

Keeping your favorite desserts at home usually spells trouble. When treats are in the house, more of the dessert usually ends up in you, rather than your guests. Therefore, keep some low fat, low-calorie alternatives on hand...Google * healthy desserts*...Take time to research for healthier recipes.

Excuse #5: I’ll get back to eating healthier tomorrow!...

Make sure an occasional splurge does NOT become a repeated excuse (or turn into “next week” or “next month”).Ask yourself * What will become of me if I continue to make excuses?*

Plan ahead....Don’t go shopping on an empty stomach...Use healthier substitutions such as: bake using applesauce instead of sugar...Use low fat cream cheese, skim or 1 % milk instead of whole milk, experiment with using different spices to flavor your foods, Bake or broil instead of deep frying, measure your portion size instead of guessing and over filling your tummy, use a child sized plate instead of a big plate...Budget calories throughout the day, so you can afford to spend a few more at the party...Add 5 to 10 extra minutes of exercising to your exercise sessions to help with the holiday weight gain.

Remember to reward yourself...Making it through the holidays can be hard work. Establish a reward system to stay motivated along the way...Example: Make up a game to play, giving yourself money in a jar for obtaining goals that you set such as : One dollar ( or an amount that is good for you) for making out a grocery list and buying only those items...A dollar for making out a weekly menu and sticking to it...A dollar for exercising each day...A dollar for trying a new healthy recipe...A dollar for inviting a friend to take a walk with you...A dollar for writing in your journal...A dollar for contacting a support group member to encourage them, as this will also encourage yourself...Then after the holiday when the sales are big, go out and buy something special just for you!

Stay positive... Everyone makes mistakes, so there will be times when even the most disciplined person will slip. Don’t worry or stress during these mishap, just get back on track...Arm yourself with a good plan and a positive attitude!!!

Planning a party or family get together during the holidays?...Instead of filling bowls of pretzels, potato chips, or candy, offer your guests a selection of fruits and vegetables...Make a platter consisting of carrot and celery sticks, cucumbers, different colored peppers ( which makes the platter pretty and appealing)...Perhaps some cauliflower, broccoli, and radishes...For another interesting variation, try a southwestern theme of fresh salsa, black beans, served in half a red pepper...Keep in mind to make healthier, low fat vegetable dips.
Nuts are a heart-healthy snack choice. Roasted almonds are a great source of magnesium and vitamin E, while pecans and other nuts are rich in monounsaturated fat. Look for raw, unsalted or lightly salted varieties of your favorite nuts. If time allows, roast your own with your favorite seasonings such as garlic and onion powder, or some dry ranch mix.

Tips for eating at a restaurant doing the holidays...Ask the waiter/waitress to NOT bring out a bowl of nacho chips, biscuits, bread to sit on the table...You can over stuff yourself on these without even realizing it...Extra calories that you just don't need!...Share a healthy meal with someone...Don't be afraid to ask questions about how they prepare their foods...And it's okay to ask for butter, sour cream, salad dressings to be put on the side, so this way you can monitor the amount that you use...Just because its on the salad bar doesn't make it a healthy choice.

Dessert Ideas... Forgo the high-fat cheesecake and pastries and serve angel food cake

instead. Top it with fresh berries, mango, papaya, kiwi, strawberries, peaches.

Parties are opportunities to be social, so have fun! Don’t let the food distract you from talking with friends and family. And even if the tables are laden with your favorites, with a little forethought and preparation, you can make healthy food choices that won’t derail your good eating habits...Walk around the room and look to see what is available that is low fat, low sugar, low calories before even picking up your plate...Make your selection quickly and leave the food area...Takesmall bites, savoring the flavors, allowing time for your brain to say * You are full, You don't need second helpings*!!!

Why I Love Ohio In The Winter Time

When its winter time in Ohio...And the gentle breezes blow

About seventy-two miles an hour...And its twenty-two below

You can tell you're in Ohio...Cause the snow's up to your butt

And you take a breath of winter air...And your nose holes both freeze shut

The weather here is wonderful...So I guess I'll hang around

I could never leave Ohio...My feet are frozen to the ground

I hope all these tips helps you to have an easier time during the holidays...And may visions of carrot sticks and low calorie dip dance in your head...

Merry Christmas...Tammy Hoff

P.S. Christmas is a time of joy and family celebration...May you be blessed with friendship, family love and ever lasting memories!!!

Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only TRUE FRIENDS will leave footprints in your heart...And may that friendship have such a ONENESS that when one weeps the other will taste salt...Friends are like balloons ; once you let them go you can't get them back....So I'm going to tie you to my heart so I never lose you.

Most Active