7weeks post opt

michaela67
on 3/18/13 9:56 am

I am 7 weeks post opt and I am still not able to eat meat (steak, chicken, cornbeef) I gets stuck right in my chest until Im forced to get it up.   How long did it take everyone before they were able to eat meat. Yes I take small bites and chew but it feels like theres a road block in my chest that says "STOP AND GO BACK". 

absolutemomtwofour
on 3/18/13 10:27 am
RNY on 02/11/13

I am only 5 weeks post op I cannot eat Chicken I tried to eat it and unless it looks like baby food I cannot eat it at all :(  and I love chicken.  I have read a lot of people say they were not able to eat steak and they were over 1 year out but there are some people who could, If you are trying make sure it is very tiny tiny pieces and that you chew well.  I also cannot do any type of ground meat it is just to dry for me even if it has sauce on it. I can do the fake frozen kinds but it is not really good for you.  Give it a little more time and try again.

LN040768
on 3/18/13 11:30 am - Fairless Hills, PA

are you bringing up all food or just meats? i had a similar problem. at 7 weeks i could only process fluids and foods like puree (some puree not at all if it was too thick). ends up i had a stricture. they had to go back in and stretch it out. it was a quick in and out procedure. took all of 15 min for the procedure and i was able to eat again. i am 2 months out and i can eat steak (in very tiny pieces and chewed very well), chicken (most times its ok) and fi****ried corn beef but didn't go over too well. 

Pre Op weight  - 230 (heaviest weight)

Surgery weight - 217

Goal weight - 120

Valerie G.
on 3/18/13 12:04 pm, edited 3/18/13 12:04 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Meats can be a challenge at first, but patience and selection is key.  You want to start with the absolute softest, tenderest cuts.  With steak, I suggest prime rib or filet mignon at first, or for a cheaper cut, you want it slow cooked and fork-tender like beef stew or pot roast type softness.  Hamburger, surprisingly enough, took a while for me to tolerate.  With chicken, go for thighs instead of breast.  Even more than 7yrs post op from my DS, I cannot eat as much chicken breast as I can thighs.  If you must have the breast, try brining it and/or pounding the cutlets to break up the fibers before you cook them.

If you feel that feeling in your chest again, just sit back and wait a few minutes.  Do not eat anything else or drink anything, or you may feel like you want to vomit.  If you wait, it's usually gone in about 10 min.

Oh -- I almost forgot.  I don't speak from experience because i hate seafood, but I've heard many people say that shrimp is very easy to eat early out.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

michaela67
on 3/18/13 9:56 pm

Yes it seems to be meat only. Just had a piece of whole wheat bread toasted with a slice of cheese no problem.  I guess I should wait a few more months and try again. But another question would be that in three months what is going to be different?? Could after 7weeks my insides are still healing?? Thanks everyone

Jessica285
on 3/19/13 7:05 am - UT

You don't mention which surgery you had??  There are some variations to diet depending upon which one you had.  However, your body is still adjusting/healing for months after your surgery.  You went from being able to eat anything you could stuff in your tummy to approximately 2-6 ounces of food.  You have to get over mind hunger vs actual hunger in some cases or in my case, I had to buy a scale so I could VISUALLY see how much 2 ounces of protein was, lol!

I'm not sure what your nutritionist told you about your diet after surgery, but proteins first as they help you retain your muscle mass while losing weight (Poultry, red meats, seafood, fish), then low starch veggies (mashed cauliflower was my fav!), then some fruits (berries are best!).  A little cheese and dairy are alright, but don't come to depend on them as primary items.  Small amounts of greek yogurt and an ounce of cheese are great.  Just remember to stay away from processed foods and sip, sip, sip as much as you can to stay hydrated.

Highest: 297 lbs/Lowest 127 lbs/Maintaining at 140-145 lbs

RNY Nov 2009/Perforated Ulcers Jan 2010/Revised to modified VSG Dec 2011      

Lisawithboys
on 3/20/13 7:03 am

My nutrionist said the moister the meat the better. Also canned meat is moister and add gravy or mayo to moisten it. Cut/mince/dice meat into very small sizes. I'm 4 weeks out and have had chicken, pork, beef, and fish. I guess I'm lucky.

michaela67
on 3/20/13 11:09 am

went to surgeon today wants me to stay off the meats for two weeks.  Then he wants me to start back up says I should not be having any problems.  If i still have problems after two weeks going to send me for an endoscopy to make sure the opening to the stomach does not need to be wider.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1470 views