Any input on oranges

michaela67
on 3/20/13 10:12 pm

I sooo miss my oj in the morning so I have been having an orange in the morning (really just suck the juice dont really eat anything) and I have an orange in the evening as a treat.  I have no problem anybody else eat oranges?

southernlady5464
on 3/20/13 11:11 pm

While it does have good things in it...fruit (esp the juice) is all carbs and LOTS of sugar even if it's natural sugar) .

Think of it this way...table sugar is also natural. It's  made from the cane or beets but it's still from the plant.

How far out are you? And which surgery?

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Kelly-AnneH
on 3/21/13 12:42 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Depends. How far out are you? Which surgery?

I had VSG 9 months ago and eat oranges occasionally if they fit into my calories for the day. No juice though - just calories with no satiety at all.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

hollykim
on 3/21/13 1:23 am, edited 3/21/13 1:32 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 21, 2013 at 5:12 AM Pacific Time, michaela67 wrote:

I sooo miss my oj in the morning so I have been having an orange in the morning (really just suck the juice dont really eat anything) and I have an orange in the evening as a treat.  I have no problem anybody else eat oranges?

i don't understand what the difference is in drinking  orange juice and sucking orange juice  out of the orange... and it is till ready sugar,simple sugar either way. as long as you are giving your body ready fuel (simple sugar = orange juice) your body will use that fuel first and not burn your stored fat.

Orange juice has 25 gms of sugar in a cup,granted juice from an orange would not likely be a cup but may be... so if you are eating two a day that is 50 gms of sugar alone.... that is more than enough to keep your body from burning fat plus it is way more than enough to keep you craving sugar.

Kathleen W.
on 3/21/13 3:48 am - Lancaster, PA

It depends on a lot of things like how long out surgery, etc,  May I make a suggestion for you?  Because of the sugar(even though it's natural),  you might want to consider the small cuties.  They're small enough that children can peel them by themselves.  This way, not only does it satisfy your craving oranges, but it would cut down on the natural sugar and give you some natural fiber for your diet needs.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Most Active