Stricture again? (For anyone that's had more than one stricture....). TMI

alycat75
on 3/27/13 3:50 am - Indian Trail, NC
RNY on 01/14/13

I'm a little worried that I'm developing another stricture. 

About a month ago, I had a stricture fixed through dilation.  At the beginning of that stricture, I remember feeling full most of the time, not being able to ingest much, having frequent throat noises (or so i call them.....kind of throat growls...).  At the very beginning I didn't have a whole lot of nausea, but I distinctly remember those symptoms. 

Since yesterday, I've been having the same type of symptoms.  I don't like crying wolf, so I'm usually one to wait until things really warrant going to a doctor.  So, I was just curious - for those that have had strictures re-develop, when did you decide it was happening again and you needed to get in front of a scope?

Surgery Date:  January 14, 2013

HW:  273   |   SW:  250.9. |   CW:  209.3  |  GW:  150

bubbylucy
on 3/27/13 5:19 am - Raleigh, NC

I had a stricture at 4 weeks post op RNY and had to have it dilated every two weeks 5 times before it actually cured. I would definitely start feeling over full from a small amount for a long period of time. I wish you luck.

Audra

simmie78
on 3/27/13 11:50 am

What's a stricture?

Currently 180 - 76 lbs lost! Surgery 11/7/12, 36 years old, 5'8". I live in Hong Kong and it's a bit different here!

JJ_
on 3/27/13 4:09 pm

stric·ture

noun \ˈstrik-chər\ Definition of STRICTURE 1 a: an abnormal narrowing of a bodily passage; also: the narrowed part     In RNY surgery, it is the over healing and closing off of either the top of the stoma or the part where the intestines join the bottom of the pouch.

JulieIND
on 3/27/13 4:11 pm - Indianapolis, IN

I have had six dilations and the last one the doctor even injected steroids into the site of the dilation in hopes it would keep it open.  Fast forward three weeks and I'm back to vomiting up anything I eat that's not liquid or very soft foods like mashed potatoes or yogurt.  For instance, I had three bites of a soft pretzel the other day and I was in excruciating pain for hours and hours before I finally vomited it all up. 

I am over six years out from surgery, and they can't figure out what's causing this all of a sudden.  The doctor tonight said I will need a revision of the connection, but the doctor who did my original surgery is no longer practicing WLS, so nobody in my current city wants to touch me.  So I guess I'll just sit here and not eat until someone figures something out or I can go out of town and pay $18,000 cash to get it fixed. 

I guess I'd like to know if anyone has had a stricture surgically repaired who was years out from surgery and how it went.

michaela67
on 3/30/13 9:34 am

How do they fix a stricture??? Do they do it with a endoscopy or does the surgeon go back in and fix the problem???

Most Active