Adhesions?

vbaum
on 4/2/13 11:11 am

I am having a horrible time with what I feel to be adhesions around my midsection. I told my surgeon and he just said we would watch it. I told him the pain is really bad! Now it is interfereing with my job as a nurse. I have to bend over to care for patients. Has anyone else had adhesions? How did you deal? Input requested!!!  Thanks in advance.

mbentz
on 4/3/13 1:47 am - Somerset, PA

Oh yeah.  I've had my share of adhesion issues.  Just had surgery in December for a bowel obstruction due to adhesions.  They are very painful.  This is gonna sound crazy, but one time I was having very bad pain in my midsection right around the belly button.  I, too, thought it was adhesions. I could not stand up straight.  I got so frustrated with the pain that I literally started to rub very hard on my belly.  Not knowing what I thought I was going to accomplish by doing this....I was just so frustrated.  Well, to my surprise, the pain began to feel better.  So I kept rubbing.  And I kid you not, the pain virtually disappeared.  The only thing I can figure is that there was an adhesion that was causing the pain and by rubbing it, released it somehow.  Not saying that you should try this....I dunno.  Just sharing that experience.  Good luck and God Bless.

HW 282  SW 270  GW 160  CW 150
Amy Smith
on 4/3/13 4:47 am

For the first 3 years post surgery I had at least one lap surgery a year to remove adhesions that were causing obstructions.  FINALLY it seems things have settled down.  THe bad thing about adhesions is that each surgery will only cause more adhesions.  From when things were really bad for my I had read that most surgeons leave them alone, if the pain is tolerable.  When my pain was beyond what I thought I could handle I went back and a CT scan showed a large black mass, come to find out an adhesion had intertwined and had pulled everything to my left side. It just showed a large dark mass on the left side.  He went into see what it was and when he released the little time adhesion it was like everything sprung back into place.  I ended up with a lot of complications from my RNY basically bc my body kept trying to "reheal" itself. 

I may have had a few extra potholes along the way, but the journey has been good!   

• RNY- Christiana Institute of Advanced Surgery - Dr. Peters 8/09 
  • Medial Thigh lift & Brachioplasty - Dr. Macrea 7/2011  
  • LBL - Dr. Joseph Michaels (Sibley Memorial) 12/22/2011
  • Upper Body Lift with Mastoplexy - Dr. Joseph Michaels 12/20/2012

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1448 views