6 years post-RNY

Jolimont
on 4/2/13 5:49 pm - Toulouse, France

Hello everyone,

I got a notification this morning from Obesity Help that today is my surgical anniversary (never would have crossed my mind otherwise!), so here I am reporting on my reality as a way to give back to this community.

I started out with a maximum weight of 303lbs (5'2"). Surgery did not go perfectly (see my old posts for details) and recovery was painful and slow, but I'm happy to report I've had no complications or rehospitalization since. 

Let me preach a little bit: it is VITAL to get good follow-up care whi*****ludes regular blood tests to check on your actual levels. It is not enough to take mega doses of supplements. I have an acqaintance who had a RNY at the same time I did and hasn't  done any follow ups. She takes supplements and doesn't want to know. I fear she'll wake up one day with neuropathy and it'll be too late for her. Oral supplements of B12 and vit D were having zero effect on me and I wouldn't have know unless I did blood tests. I take thyroid supplements (life-long problem not related to the RNY), a B12 shot every month, iron, calcium, and a vit D shot 3 times a year and a maintenance dose of acid reducer every day. I feel heartburn when I drink red wine, but otherwise my stomach seems healthy. 

At my lowest weight I got to 185lbs, and I've been at a steady 205-210lbs for a couple of years. Hardly a stick, but healthy, I wear a size 18. Honestly at a size 14 I thought I was too skinny and I worried it had gone too far. I know other WLS patients who are not happy until they get to a size 0, I never felt like that. 

I walk 6k pretty much each day with my dog and I've been told by a personal trainer who sees my husband that I should really do walk/run intervals as it would help me shed the lbs, but so far I haven't. I ran some 5k at my lowest weight and did OK for a bit, but I find if my goal is to go out running I always find excuses not to go whereas I look forward to my walks with the dog every day, so in the end walking is probably what I'll stick to. Some weight lifting would also be good for me.

Life has been good, I have no regrets, but I can eat whatever I want now (have been able to for 3 or 4 years really) I don't dump (never did), I rarely have nausea any more (used to the first 2 years) and I snack too much. Next time I see the endocrinologist I will ask for a referral for a therapist who can help me work on my emotional relationship to food. I'm sure I can make progress there. RNY has not been a panacea, I still have to manage my weight, but I feel good and I can dress nicely and look decent. I don't feel trapped any more. You know what I mean?

I wish all of you the best of luck on your journey.

Annie in sunny southern France

tipoftheiceberg
on 4/2/13 7:49 pm

Anne, what great personal insight you have.  Congratulations on reaching your 6 year anniversary but most of all for not beating yourself up about  your weight.  As you can attest to,  it is not about the number on the scale but about how you feel about yourself.  It is quite common to regain some of the weight after 24 months out.  The key to successful maintenance is to be mindful of what you eat and to engage in an active lifestyle.

I too agree that it is important to follow up and have your blood work evaluated routinely.  I was having my labs drawn by my internist who said that my lab work was great . (The labs were within the "normal range").  I had not been to my Bariatric Surgeons office because I relocated to another state so I was being cared for by my primary care physician. However, after returning to my Bariatric Surgeon who I saw a month later after my most recent labs he said they were "normal" for a non post RNY patient but he was concerned about my B12 values and had me begin administering monthly injections.  I was surprised.  I genuinely thought that I was doing all the right things. I thought I was alright.  I have to admit, that I felt so much better once I began taking the increased dose of B12.   I really did not know that I was deficient....I was living life but did not realize how tired I was...  My point here is that your Bariatric Surgeon really knows what is best for you. 

Jolimont
on 4/2/13 9:51 pm - Toulouse, France

I couldn't agree more. Either your bariatric surgeon or an endocrinologist who has experience with WLS patients. My general practitioner also thought my B12 levels were fine when I was taking B12 by mouth, as soon as I saw an endocrinologist she told me GPs don't know enough about B12 and had me do shots each day for 4 days to boost it urgently, then relax to once a month maintenance. I've been right on target ever since and feeling well. We have to be proactive about B12 especially as neuropathy cannot be reversed.