Writing a book

GloryGirl
on 4/18/13 3:38 pm - Columbia, MO

I'm writing a book about my weight loss. After having RNY 9/27/04 I lost 230 lbs. Then I gained about 60. In 2010, I began losing weight the old-fashioned way, eating healthy--meats, fruits and veggies, and moving more. After getting my surgery, I sort of followed the suggested eating plan for a month or so but then just ate what I wanted to and what would stay down. I lost the weight but didn't use the tool to discipline myself with correct eating and exercise. Today I've lost 243 lbs from my high of 430. My goal is to lose at least 18 more lbs. Then I won't be obese anymore. Just overweight. I will continue on but I may need to have excess skin cut off to lose much more.

I'd love to hear your experience with RNY. Contact me here or email me at [email protected]. This book is going to just be my story. But I am already thinking of a follow-up with others stories.

I attempted to write the book several years ago, but I hadn't learned everything I needed to know. I'm hoping the book will help many who are struggling with having had the surgery and gaining weight back or trying to decide to have the surgery or not. Knowing what I know now, I do believe I could have done this without the surgery.

debk21
on 4/18/13 9:55 pm - Mansfield, TX

I also felt compelled to write my story of weight loss through VSG. It's a great catharsis & helps others on their journey to health. You can find mine by clicking on my website in my signature. Good luck to you in your writing. I hope you get lots of RNY feedback!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

MoonFlower24n7
on 4/18/13 10:45 pm

I think it's a great idea to write a book on WLS!  For the most part. all the information out there is usually by medical professionals.  I think someone who has travelled the journey would be an inspiration!  Good luck and if you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to share my experiences. (I am 8 years out) I am 5'1 and my peak weight was 368 lbs. I am extremely muscular so I will always be "thick".  Like you, I began eating what I wanted to and went from a size 9-10 to a 16.  I really began to use my "tool" and I am now back to a size 9-10.  There is no magic cure! Alot of people really don't understand that we as WLS patients have to be diligent. I have worked hard to maintain my weight and I don't ever want to go backwards.  I just signed up on this site today and I'm having just a bit of trouble navigating.  You can take a look at my profile and pics.  It is still a work in progress.  I hope to hear from you!

AnniesSS
on 4/20/13 8:29 am
RNY on 09/11/12

I have journalled my journey - which is just over a year now - for possible use in my own storybook for myself and close friends and family.  It feels good to go back and see all that I've done and accomplished in all this time, with the tests and my thoughts over this time.  It's a good idea for anyone to at least journal their ideas, thoughts, information if for no other reason then for yourself :)

Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

GloryGirl
on 4/20/13 10:23 am - Columbia, MO

I did the same but mine is somewhat different because of beginning to gain the weight back. i've learned there are no magic cures. It takes hard work and intentional effort no matter how much we want the instant fix.

MyLady Heidi
on 4/21/13 12:01 pm

I have been on this site since 2004 and learned much of how to be successful from successful postops.  I changed my eating, set goals for myself to be healthy, off my diabetes meds, and not so full of myself that I ever forget where I came from and never be too ****y that regain won't happen to me.  I diet everyday to maintain, which means I force myself to choose every singe thing I eat by asking is it worth it and is it good for me.  If the answer isn't yes to at least one question then I skip it.  Eight years out and at goal, 137lbs at 5'5.

GloryGirl
on 4/21/13 12:22 pm - Columbia, MO

I agree and if someone goes in with that in mind, they will be successful. I wanted a quick fix which worked until I found I could eat other stuff. After gaining a large amount of weight, I started doing the hard stuff and now am below where I was before. Not at 137 and not sure that is even a goal of mine. My goal is 150. I'm headed there. I want to let others WLS individuals or others that there is no substitute for hard work.

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/21 4:46 am

Writing a book is not an essay task for anyone if you see there are many authors are there who are publishing the topic every year who have written a good content or friction story. There are also Ghost book writer here available in the market with a great affordable package many authors and people are consult with them.

Most Active